Turkey done very early.......???

Georgia Smoke

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Ok guys, my turkey is done and we don't eat for another 2.5 hours! What should I do with the bird?

It was a 12 lb was on the smoker for just under 3 hours at about 325*.

Thanks,
James

I've got the same probably, fifteen pounder not carving till 12-12:30. I've got maybe half hour before it's done. Kettle started running hot. I'm gonna put mine in a foil pan, wrap with foil, wrap with towels, and hopefully it'll fit in my cooler. Should keep warm well resting for a couple hours? Hope that helps, hope someone chimes in as well! Good luck!

I'm getting mine done a bit ahead of time on purpose so not to have to mess with it when the folks all start arriving. I'm going to hold in my preheated cambro which a cooler would work too. Preheat with some boiling water.

I rested two turkeys for three hours last Sunday. Put in aluminum roaster pan, sealed up with aluminum foil and wrapped in a (new) moving blanket... was still hot and steaming when I unwrapped to carve.

I've recently become a convert to believing in longer rest times. Takes the stress out of worrying that it will be finished on time and rested meat is juicy meat!

I had a 15 lb'er that was overdone in about 3.5 hours. I was trying to get the WSM hotter than usual and I think that combined with the wind the temps just got away from me.

that combined with us not eating for another hour and a half I pulled / carved as minimally as possible, stuck in a foil pan and into my insulated bag. Hopefully it stays somewhat moist.

I got mine done early by 2 hrs so had plenty of time for other stuff, like making gravy etc etc. Lightly covered with foil on a cookie sheet, sitting on top of the stove. 2 hrs later still steaming hot. No problem.
85by.jpg

Drippings for gravy
yyvs.jpg

Back