The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   TYeam Names (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145313)

Big George's BBQ 10-03-2012 09:39 AM

TYeam Names

KCBS has contacted me requesting I change my name/add my state as there is another team similar to mine. My team is Back Porch BBQ. The other is Back Porch Q. I have registered it, have a web site and invested my in a banner and a Brethern Banner. I dont really want to change Can they force this issue.

sitnfat 10-03-2012 10:07 AM

Who knows there is a group of people north of KC that used my name earlier in the year. I called the contest organizer she said they are locals that only do 1 maybe 2 local contests. She said she would talk to them and ask them to change their name. I have some friends in court over team names. Just another reason to check check check names before hand and make yours different than someone else's. Not just change of spelling there are 2 here close that sound the same but spelled different. Makes awards awkwards at times

richardnoodle 10-03-2012 10:30 AM

We had to add Buffalo to our name after a couple years of competing(and we did check with KCBS). We didn't have much invested yet so it wasn't a big deal(some shirts and a banner), the problem they told us with giving points to the wrong team.

butt head 10-03-2012 05:11 PM

I wouldn't

Slamdunkpro 10-03-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butt head (Post 2233715)
I wouldn't

I wouldn't either if you're happy with your name. Let the other teams that come in later add State or whatever.

AZScott 10-03-2012 05:43 PM

Which team had the name first? There's a lot of team names out there that are very very similar and like we've all said a hundred times, a simple team number would resolve this issue.

The Cosmic Pig 10-03-2012 06:53 PM

Looks like you could just add the state or whatever to the team name at the comps for clarification and keep your shirts, banners, etc as they are. They just need to know the difference as someone else said for points, etc. Otherwise, I don't know why it would matter? I renewed my KCBS membership last time because I changed my team name and I wanted it "registered" with them, but they never changed it and I just couldn't care less at this point.

kenthanson 10-03-2012 06:57 PM

Keep your name the same on everything, banner, website etc. but just when registering for KCBS comps fill out as "Back porch bbq State"

EDIT: Looks like wearcd beat me to it.

Slamdunkpro 10-03-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wearcd (Post 2233803)
Looks like you could just add the state or whatever to the team name at the comps for clarification and keep your shirts, banners, etc as they are. They just need to know the difference as someone else said for points, etc. .........

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenthanson (Post 2233806)
Keep your name the same on everything, banner, website etc. but just when registering for KCBS comps fill out as "Back porch bbq State"

Why does the original guy have to change? Since George is in the KCBS Database as Back Porch BBQ he clearly picked a name that wasn't in the database. OK, first in - first "registered". Now because someone has come in and wants the same name (or very close) they want George to change? Um, no.

Butt Rubb'n BBQ 10-03-2012 08:10 PM

I would not change it and no they can't force you to. Go look at all the team names and you will find that there are a lot of teams that have similar names.

The Cosmic Pig 10-03-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro (Post 2233869)
Why does the original guy have to change? Since George is in the KCBS Database as Back Porch BBQ he clearly picked a name that wasn't in the database. OK, first in - first "registered". Now because someone has come in and wants the same name (or very close) they want George to change? Um, no.

I'm not advocating he change his name in ANY way. All I'm saying is if he wants to get credit for winning, etc, it's not a big deal to add the state to his name while he's at a comp. That's all I did. I absolutely wouldn't change my name to the extent of needing new banners, shirts, etc. That's just ridiculous. :tsk:

kenthanson 10-04-2012 02:10 AM

Because sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze. On one hand we have changing nothing and having to deal with contest result issues or adding as little as two letters to a contest registration form and having no issues at all.

DawgPhan 10-04-2012 07:42 AM

and people wonder why KCBS TOY, BBQRace.com, and National BBQ Rankings have issues with getting the team names right.

White Dog BBQ 10-04-2012 08:16 AM

If you were the first to use your name, then you shouldn't have to change -- period.

Just tell KCBS Back Porch BBQ is your intellectual property. Considering how vigilant KCBS in defending their IP, they should see your point.

The real solution to this is to have each team registered under an ID number and track TotY that way.

deguerre 10-04-2012 08:43 AM

If someone is too dense to recognize the difference between "BBQ' and just "Q", regardless of what comes before it, then they ain't got no bidness being there.