The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   So my smoker tried to burn my house down... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159388)

DirtyChurro 04-23-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J'ville Grill (Post 2458611)
Beer run eh?

It was actually a legitimate, last minute appointment with a dietician who is helping me with my diabetes. I just recently got on an insulin pump, changing from daily injections, and I needed assistance with programming it. I hadn't planned on leaving originally. I wish it was a beer run. Alcohol is hell on diabetes...

martyleach 04-23-2013 10:34 PM

That is so cool that your son took control and did what was needed to do. Really good for his confidence and self esteem. Great life lessons are hard to come by. That is a good one!

caliking 04-23-2013 10:40 PM

Holy chit! Good to hear that everyone is safe and the house is ok. Now grill that kid his own porterhouse - he earned it!

Callahan-que 04-23-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyChurro (Post 2458639)
It was actually a legitimate, last minute appointment with a dietician who is helping me with my diabetes. I just recently got on an insulin pump, changing from daily injections, and I needed assistance with programming it. I hadn't planned on leaving originally. I wish it was a beer run. Alcohol is hell on diabetes...

Sorry for the comment I made, I was just joking around.

kirk fortin 04-23-2013 11:44 PM

Good to hear you and your family are safe....im sure he already knows but this might bring you and your son closer with Grilling/Smoking foods so you can watch eachothers backs more too.

Pyle's BBQ 04-24-2013 12:23 AM

For safety concerns, next time take it off the the propane smoker and put it in the oven. There is not much difference. If you want to add more smoke put it back on the smoker when you get home. I understand you are trying to get smoke flavor on the meat but this would eliminate leaving a smoker unattended.

Glad to hear that everything turned out okay.

16Adams 04-24-2013 03:01 AM

Thank you for taking the time to post your story. Safety is an initial and ongoing concern. Valuable post. Thank you

SmokinM 04-24-2013 04:18 AM

Glad no-one was hurt and kudos to your son for a job well done.

pbj 04-24-2013 06:52 AM

Was the tank up to date? I thought propane tanks were required to have a device in them to shut off when there is a sudden decompression like a hose break.

Cherrywood 04-24-2013 07:34 AM

Glad everyone's ok. Thanks for the reminder.

stephan 04-24-2013 07:45 AM

Glad to hear it all worked out. Your son is very cool under fire. {No pun intended}

Lake Dogs 04-24-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyChurro (Post 2458558)
The connection at the propane burner failed and started burning the paint off. My 11 year old son came home from school, saw it on fire, called me, shut off the propane tank, which was "spewing fire like a flamethrower", and beat the small portion of the porch that was on fire with a shovel before I could get there. He's my hero. :clap2:

I'm glad you're all unhurt and your house survived.

Please consider HankB's sage advice:

Sometimes I think I'm being too much of a ninny when I point out to people the risks in their setup. And then I hear stories like yours. :twitch:

I used to roll as a paid on call firefighter and rolled on the occasional grill gone bad.

Please put yourself more than one mistake away from disaster. We all make mistakes. Don't put yourself in a position where that mistake results in disaster. Fire in a garage, porch, on a deck or too close to a structure is just a bad idea waiting to teach you a lesson.

/rant

I'm glad your son was there to intervene.

NickTheGreat 04-24-2013 08:06 AM

Wow. Good for him being quick thinking :clap:

timzcardz 04-24-2013 08:29 AM

Bullet dodged, thank God.

The only mistake that your son made was calling you. He should have called the fire department. If he could make a call, that's where it should have gone. You should make him aware of that. If it had gotten out of hand without the FD on their way . . . well I don't want to think of what the posts here may have been like.

HookedOnQ 04-24-2013 10:06 AM

Wow! Very very lucky to say the least. Glad to hear things turned out the way they did