The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Thigh knuckles: Cut 1, 2, or both? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156470)

cpw 03-18-2013 12:32 PM

Thigh knuckles: Cut 1, 2, or both?

I was gonna try to do this as a poll, but couldn't figure out how, so:

What's the consensus on cutting off the knuckles on a chicken thigh? I've generally done both in the past, only because I like the way the skin wraps better. I watched a competition prep video where he only cut off one knuckle, and I attended a class a few weeks back where two of the competition teams that were there said they don't cut off either knuckle because the marrow leaks out and can cause a bitter taste.

What do the brethren say?

K-Train 03-18-2013 01:20 PM

I used to cut one off. After attending a class not gonna cut anymore.

Cayman1 03-18-2013 02:09 PM

I don't. I worry about fragments and the blood from the marrow.

jketron 03-18-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw (Post 2412431)
I was gonna try to do this as a poll, but couldn't figure out how....

My wife said the same thing

Fatback Joe 03-18-2013 02:32 PM

I try not to cut them off, but if I get a thigh that is pretty much perfect, but just needs a little snip, I do it.

Podge 03-18-2013 02:51 PM

I don't cut them. I like thighs to look more natural.

Pappy Q 03-18-2013 03:39 PM

No cutting them for me.

smokinit 03-18-2013 04:14 PM

Stopped doing it part way through last year.

9Q1 03-18-2013 04:26 PM

I cut them both off...did great with it last year and by far our strongest category....may reconsider after our dismal showing in Tupelo this past weekend.

hogzillas 03-18-2013 05:29 PM

I got Myron's book & for his cupcake chicken he said to cut both ends off. I tried it & after cutting, I worried as above about any shards etc from the bones & based on the size of the bone afterward I just didn't really see a benefit to doing it & if I did, I might as well debone the entire thing instead of clip the knuckles. It's a lot of work for little gain so I'd rather debone the entire thing or just choose/trim square pieces & more than likely I'd go with the latter than the former option.

Theresa B 03-18-2013 05:58 PM

As a judge I want both knuckles left on. They are the perfect "handle". I do not cut off the knuckles when I cook either for all of the reasons stated above.

"Bone to Bark" BBQ 03-18-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theresa B (Post 2412936)
As a judge I want both knuckles left on. They are the perfect "handle". I do not cut off the knuckles when I cook either for all of the reasons stated above.

Does that also mean, as a judge, you prefer bone-in over boneless???

Smoke'n Ice 03-18-2013 06:56 PM

by the way, Myrons muffin pan chicken, which every one seems to emulate (thanks) took 27th on that particular day.

Theresa B 03-18-2013 07:48 PM

Bone to Bark...no real preference. I judge what is presented. If what is presented is a thigh I prefer the knuckles on. I certainly wouldn't judge down,that's not one of the criteria. Just my preference. I like my thighs to look like thighs!

Q-Dat 03-18-2013 11:09 PM

Re: Thigh knuckles: Cut 1, 2, or both?

Serious question here. Not a criticism.

If you're going to cut off BOTH knuckles, what is the benefit to leaving that little piece of bone in the middle? Seems like if you're going that far, you might as well debone completely.