• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pros and Cons of mounting viper fan through ball valve?

StickyD

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Anyone have some insight into what would be the best place to mount a Pit Viper fan on this homemade cabinet smoker? I've seen some attached to the ball valve, and others separate from the valve. Is one way better? My thought was to mount it next to the ball valve, just so I don't have a ten inch piece of sticking out the side of the cabinet to trip over. (I also felt if I mounted it on the other side, then I'd have a another thing to remember not to trip over). Thanks for any help!
cabinet-where-guru.jpg

I'd put it on the ball valve. Otherwise the valve will be useless most of the time. The fitting is a small screw in attachment.

I realized I should post a pic of the firebox. The ball valve opens into the side of the charcoal basket, which is grated (the other three sides are solid). So I don't know if this would effect the placement of the fan. I have heard people say the fan should be below the charcoal and above the ash pan. Or am I just over-thinking a hole that allows air intake :confused: Thanks again for any assistance.

cabinet-door-open.jpg
Regards,

I prefer to mount them on the valve, that way when its time to shut down the cooker, you turn off the BBQ Guru and shut the valve.

I believe your just overthinking it.

Maybe consider drilling some 1" holes around the sides of the charcoal pan for improved airflow.

I'd recommend to continue using the slide on the fan to adjust the air intake. It's easier to set and forget than it is to duplicate exact ball valve position each time fwiw.

Anyone have some insight into what would be the best place to mount a Pit Viper fan on this homemade cabinet smoker? I've seen some attached to the ball valve, and others separate from the valve. Is one way better?

I prefer to mount them on the valve, that way when its time to shut down the cooker, you turn off the BBQ Guru and shut the valve.

I too mount on the ball valve. Valve is wide open during use, but when the guru is shut down, I close the ball valve to keep insects out. I also placed a 90° elbow on the ball valve with a piece of pipe which allows my pit viper to be mounted at eye level, and my Guru mounts on the pipe just below the pit viper fan.

Back