• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Graduation Party help

shtrbc

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am doing pork butts/pulled pork for my son's graduation next weekend. My question is- if I am serving next Sunday what would be the recommended process if I do them up Friday? Should I wrap them up, refridge, and re-heat Sunday morning? PRoblem is, I have never done BBQ and not just ate/served it right away. Never re-heated stuff at a later time other than some pulled pork that I usually vacuum pack. Should I wrap whole butts and then re-heat and pull as I need Sunday? The weather has been so iffy lately that I hate to plan a cook for the overnight before the big event. Sorry for the long post, appreciate everyones input.

BC

I would cook, rest, pull and then put the meat in the freezer for a few hours, tossing it around every so often so the warm meat in the middle get's exposed to the cold temps fast enough. Once it's cooled in the freezer for a few hours, you can transfer it to a fridge and hold until Sunday. Reheating, I would put them in a foil pan with a little apple juice and reheat at 350* for an hour to an hour and a half or until it get's hot. Making sure to mix it up every once in a while to get the colder meat hot as fast as possible.

Tim

THAT^^^^^^ was gonna be my suggestion as well.

IF you have a vacuum sealer, that's another option. We're smoking 4 butts this weekend to be used next weekend at a Cub Scout Campout. Gonna vacu-suck em and store. Then we'll just drop into hot water next Saturday to reheat.

OR.......why not just cook them on Saturday overnight, get up on Sunday, wrap and cooler them and then pull right before the event? That's EXACTLY what I'm doing for a graduation party this Sunday. 20 butts cooking tomorrow overnight and then hold in cooler until ready to pull the meat.

OR.......why not just cook them on Saturday overnight, get up on Sunday, wrap and cooler them and then pull right before the event? That's EXACTLY what I'm doing for a graduation party this Sunday. 20 butts cooking tomorrow overnight and then hold in cooler until ready to pull the meat.

+1

20 butts for a grad party? Thats a big ass party.

Cook, let rest, pull and cover and let it cool down to about room temp, then vacuum seal and freeze. Reheat in the bag in simmering water.

I would cook, rest, pull and then put the meat in the freezer for a few hours, tossing it around every so often so the warm meat in the middle get's exposed to the cold temps fast enough. Once it's cooled in the freezer for a few hours, you can transfer it to a fridge and hold until Sunday. Reheating, I would put them in a foil pan with a little apple juice and reheat at 350* for an hour to an hour and a half or until it get's hot. Making sure to mix it up every once in a while to get the colder meat hot as fast as possible.

Tim
this is exactly what i do - i even use the gasser on the deck to help heat up some of the pans. i've done this with brisket, ribs and PP with success for all the grad parties. too much going on the day of the party with last minute stuff to have to worry about anyting other than reheating. plus it tastes damn good heated up. best of luck

Back