The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Making Pulled Pork Meatballs Need Binder Suggestions (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118762)

Q-Dat 10-22-2011 01:53 PM

Making Pulled Pork Meatballs Need Binder Suggestions

I wanna try taking leftover pulled pork and making meatballs out of it. I would like to avoid using bread crumbs, as I want them to be all about the meat, but I may have to unless someone knows of something better.

Any suggestions?

TN_BBQ 10-22-2011 02:00 PM

There ain't no shame in using a little bread crumbs and some egg to make a meatball.

I've heard of folks using oatmeal, flour and/or rice flour. Seems the idea is to put something in there to hold things together and/or to keep the balls from drying in to hard marbles.

Mo-Dave 10-22-2011 02:06 PM

I am thinking some eggs and flour, also are you going to chop the meat to a finer consistency? I would think that would be something to consider.
Dave

caseydog 10-22-2011 02:56 PM

Since the meat is already cooked, it seems like it isn't going to readily attache itself to anything. Egg will bind in and around the meat as it cooks. Maybe mixing egg with some pork fat will work.

CD

GARNAAL 10-22-2011 02:59 PM

try combineing them with some sushi rice..

cook 1 1/2 cup sushi rice with 2 cups of water
bring to boil, then low heat & simmer until water is absorbed.. ~ 15-20 mins..

mix the rice with 4 Tblsp Rice vinegar and 1 Tblsp Mirin

let cool a bit and then combine with the PP.. ?

you might even want to mix in some Wasabi if you like it hot.. :becky:

Q-Dat 10-22-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseydog (Post 1825971)
Since the meat is already cooked, it seems like it isn't going to readily attache itself to anything. Egg will bind in and around the meat as it cooks. Maybe mixing egg with some pork fat will work.

CD

I think I like it! I might even try mixing egg and applesauce with a little rub!

caseydog 10-22-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Dat (Post 1825981)
I think I like it! I might even try mixing egg and applesauce with a little rub!

I don't know that I would use applesauce, because it is full of water. You need protein and fat to bind that pork, IMO. I think water will work against you.

CD

jestridge 10-22-2011 04:01 PM

Maybe some egg/ oatmeal

Q-Dat 10-22-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseydog (Post 1825998)
I don't know that I would use applesauce, because it is full of water. You need protein and fat to bind that pork, IMO. I think water will work against you.

CD

Yeah I see your point. I might crunch up some freeze dried apples and use that along with the egg in place of breadcrumbs.

Grillman 10-22-2011 04:22 PM

It might work to use some "Instant Mashed Potato Flakes" as a binder.
I use them when I want to thicken something up; but don't want to use flour.

caseydog 10-22-2011 04:31 PM

If you want the flavor of apple, then the dried apples seem like they would work.

Potato flakes are an interesting idea, too.

CD