Homade Sauce

S

SauceMan

I am interested in making my first batch of barbecue sauce this weekend (tomato based, I think).

Anyone have just the basics (other than a recipe, I have one of those) that I need to make the first go round a success?

Do I just follow normal canning procedures?

And why is it called canning if you really use jars?

I was going to PM that Ribs and Wings guy (Will something in NY) but I haven't seen him on lately.

I've enjoyed reading through the archives.

1. Use normal canning protocol or just use it up before it gets fuzzy!

2. Who knows?

Cook it hot, keep the jars/lids/utensils sterile, then seal up and either water bath 'em or pressure cook to finish the sterilization. Easy, no?! :D

Hey, at least you don't have to get it to gel!! :twisted:

If you use enough vingar or canned tomatos the acid content will be high enough to keep your sauce from getting fuzzy for quite a long time.

And don't forget to use the best quality ingredients you can get, it realy does make a huge difference in taste.

experiment with different flavors and have fun!

Let us know how it turned out.

Thanks guys.

I hope to try this weekend.

Got a big bag of ripe Delicious (yellow) apples in this week. One of the things I am trying is for a bbq sauce that gets some of its sweetness and flavor from a cinnamon applesauce blend.

I tried a bbq sauce at the Knoxville Fair last year based on Rudabaga (sp) so I know you can use just about anything you want if you season it right.

I'll try and post my results (if edible :) )

For my sauce I sautee a lot of finely chopped onion and garlic - in Jack Daniels. I flame that sucker until it don'y burn no mo' and the veggies are translucent. It's always been a hit.
Also, I put brown sugar and molasses in for some sweetness. You can find the basic recipe on the Web, I think, if you run a search for Jack Daniels BBQ sauce.

Arlin

Once you make your own sauce it will be tough have it any other way. CAUTION-THIS MAYBE HABIT FORMING!!

(Wish someone would have said the same to me about BBQn)

(Wish someone would have said the same to me about BBQn)

I know what you mean, MOFO! But tell me: Would you have NOT started even if you'd known? Hell no! <grin>

Arlin

Back