Any tips

IrishSimon

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hey guys.
Does anybody have any advice on how to use this as a smoker.It folds into a small oil drum but horizontal with controllable air vents on each end but two more either end that are permanently open. How would I go about the smoking process as this is my first time trying to smoke properly.... (my UDS turned into a disaster!!!). Detailed instructions on the process would REALLY be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3450592.htm

Attachments

• smoker.jpg
    smoker.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 126
  • smoker2.jpg
    smoker2.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 123
Looks like you could build your charcoal fire on one end and put your meat on the other so you will have an indirect heat set up. If there are vents to do so, open the vent below the fire and close the vent above it. Do the opposite with the vents on the meat side.

How often would I need to add more charcoal/wood/chunks?

The smoker looks like it is built out of thin metal and will not be easy to maintain heat control. I would guess you will have to add more fuel at least once an hour if you use it as is - that is with no modifications.

Truth is, a UDS is MUCH easier to use as a smoker. You should let us talk you through the build that went wrong.

It is thin. No separate fire box. When adding more fuel would I need to open all vents to get it going or just add it and keep everything as is?

It is thin. No separate fire box. When adding more fuel would I need to open all vents to get it going or just add it and keep everything as is?

Do a search on "Minion Method." Your grill looks big enough to hold a decent amount of fuel. I can get a few hours out of a 22.5 inch Weber Kettle, using the Minion Method.

If you understand certain principles, you can smoke meat on darn near any grill or smoker. The first thing to learn, IMO, is how the Minion Method works.

When it comes to adding fuel, if needed, the key is to add small amounts at a time, so your lit fuel is not trying to light a big load of unlit fuel. So, don't wait until you are almost out, and dump a bunch of fuel into your cooker. Add small amounts at a time, before you get critically low on fuel in the cooker.

CD

looks like the "top" has movable vents but the "bottom" doesn't, just open vents.
i would get a piece of metal wide and long enough to cover the lower vents.
then cut a slot in the middle of that and use a bolt with a spring washer to keep it against the body but still allow you to move it up and down.
as to the coals you will need to use the indirect method and also use the mm with the coals as mentioned. after a few cooks you will get a better take on how much coals you need and how to control the heat.

Back