OK JOE'S world brisket open-anyone in?

thenewguy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm looking at the entry form and am a little curious...Has anyone done this contest? How does the cuttin meat work out-it sounds like you have to have an official with you while doing this-is there any concern about running out of time to do all this?
Are they using kcbs judges for the judging or is it something else?
Looks like fun, but I doubt my briskets even good enough to enter...
I am going to enter the G.A.B. so who knows.

I did it last year and it was fun. Your official is there waiting for you. They give you a styro box and one sheet of foil and tell you how many slices to turn in. No burnt ends etc. There's no presentation points so I stacked the slices and wrapped them in the foil so they wouldn't get cold or dry. I think I was middle of the pack but I'd do it again.

I entered last year and it was a blast. If you think waiting to hear your name called is nerve racking, try waiting for the teams to come by for round two. We have entered again for this year. We placed third in the contest and Dr. BBQ's class was the first one we went to and got us going. Thanks again Doc.

This is really fun. Definitely a meat contest. If you make the top round... you have to be able to keep that brisket until they come back for the second round of judging! Let that dry out, or get overcooked and OUCH! you hurt yourself. Pretty cool though.

They have the officials waiting at your site at the prescribed time... you slice it, wrap it tight, and then go -- that piece of it has always worked really smoothly. I say go for it!!!

I entered last year and it was a blast. If you think waiting to hear your name called is nerve racking, try waiting for the teams to come by for round two. We have entered again for this year. We placed third in the contest and Dr. BBQ's class was the first one we went to and got us going. Thanks again Doc.

Thanks Randy. Nice avatar, but how can you grope the babes when you're holding those trophies?

I just want to know why Randy looks so skinny when the picture is that small? Or maybe he is sucking in? :cool:

We cooked it at the speedway year before last. Entered two briskets. Got lucky and one came in 5th of 95 and made the top ten for the finals,,,,,pretty darn exciting. (Our second one almost made it, 15th place and only a point and a half out of 10th, that would have been too cool!),,,,,
We finished 6th of the 10 in the finals.

We'll be at the GAB this year and will also enter a brisket or two in the Brisket Open, see you there.

Doc, taking care of those two was one of my talents and I hope still is.

giddy up Big Boy. Marla doesn't read this Forum huh? :roll:

Back