The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Lesson Learned - Don't Fix What Ain't Broke (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165050)

Teamfour 07-04-2013 06:04 PM

Lesson Learned - Don't Fix What Ain't Broke

I did a practice comp cook with two 9 lb butts and a 15 lb packer. I have dialed in my ribs at 270 (took a 3rd two weeks ago. I usually cook my butts and brisket at 240. Since I cook all three in one smoker (BWS) I decided to cook the butts and brisket at 270. Tel-Tru and DigiQ temps were dead on 270 for the whole cook and water pan was full and kept full.

I cooked on the racks for 4 hours and then panned and wrapped in foil (I never foil butts). After two hours I probed the butts and they were like butter. I vented and then put in the Cambro. The brisket went another hour and it was butter. I trimmed off the point for burnt ends. Flat went in Cambro. After another hour I took all out of Cambro to slice and pull. The butts and brisket were overdone. Brisket was like a pot roast, the butts pulled great but the money muscle was mush.

Don't ask me temps cause I am a probe like buttah cook. Should have stuck with my 240 temp technique and learn to cook ribs at 240.

IamMadMan 07-04-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamfour (Post 2539397)
I did a practice comp cook with two 9 lb butts and a 15 lb packer. I have dialed in my ribs at 270 (took a 3rd two weeks ago. I usually cook my butts and brisket at 240. Since I cook all three in one smoker (BWS) I decided to cook the butts and brisket at 270. Tel-Tru and DigiQ temps were dead on 270 for the whole cook and water pan was full and kept full.

I cooked on the racks for 4 hours and then panned and wrapped in foil (I never foil butts). After two hours I probed the butts and they were like butter. I vented and then put in the Cambro. The brisket went another hour and it was butter. I trimmed off the point for burnt ends. Flat went in Cambro. After another hour I took all out of Cambro to slice and pull. The butts and brisket were overdone. Brisket was like a pot roast, the butts pulled great but the money muscle was mush.

Don't ask me temps cause I am a probe like buttah cook. Should have stuck with my 240 temp technique and learn to cook ribs at 240.

We all learn from our mistakes, as well as mistakes of others when they share them...

I use the DigiQ-2 to control pit temperature, and use the internal temp probe as a guide so I know when to begin probing. If you set it to do so, it will also ramp down the pit to prevent overcooking.

I used to opposed to these controllers until I tested one and got a great nights sleep, now I am a believer in this tool.

Lake Dogs 07-04-2013 07:26 PM

The other way is to put the butts and brisket in about an hour later....

Bludawg 07-04-2013 07:56 PM

The brisket tasted like pot roast because it was in Foil to long. you should have vented it for 30-40 min before going in the chambro,the same with your butts, Don't blame it on on a higher pit temp. You had carry over cooking going on in the chambro. Probe tender at 240 and probe tender at 275 is the same probe tender.

midwest_kc 07-04-2013 09:42 PM

3 hours is too long in the foil? Mine are almost always in foil longer than that.

Bdub 07-04-2013 10:56 PM

I've made the same mistake. I knew you needed to vent your bbq before resting so it stops cooking but didn't realize how long you needed to vent. After a couple of times of having overdone bbq I realized 5 minutes vent time was not sufficient.

davefan360 07-05-2013 01:16 AM

I agree they kept cooking in the cambro. it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold. if the heat has no where to go it is going to bounce out of the meat off the walls and then back into the meat. turning your cambro into a oven using the heat of the hot meat as its fuel source. try resting the meet first to lower its temp then put it in the cambro. or pull it off the smoker sooner. then as it rises the next 5* in the cambro it wont turn to mush.

GMDGeek 07-05-2013 09:04 AM

Took me awhile to figure things out too - then I got a new pit and after 3 cooks have it mostly figured out. I use a Stoker which lets me monitor pit temps at both ends and the middle and 2 meat probes. One for the brisket and one for the butts. I cook my brisket, butts, and ribs at 275. It's just a matter of learning what order to put everything on for. :D Good luck and keep up the BBQ!