The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Best gas Grill & what grate type - $500 or less?? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89452)

loveboxer 07-29-2010 06:36 PM

Best gas Grill & what grate type - $500 or less??

Sorry if this question has been asked a lot, for some reason I am being blocked from searching the forum right now.

Anyway, my mom loves to grill... Year round in Connecticut with snowy winters, so the grill needs to be able to handle cold & snow.. Covered of course when not in use.

I notice there are different grates as well from steel, to ceramic coatings and cast iron.

She does not need any side burners.

Lots of choices out there...

What is the best quality grill for the money and what type of grate and why?

Thanks and Amazing site BTW!!!

gtsum 07-29-2010 06:50 PM

for under a grand, weber is the only way to go if you want a gas grill

aquablue22 07-29-2010 07:08 PM

Weber, start shopping on the internet. You may be able to get a "Year End" deal.......I know where you and i live there is not year end, but where it get's cold the clear them out!

BBQ Grail 07-29-2010 07:30 PM

Home Depot
$549.00
3 burner
Infrared Unit from Char-Broil

You can read about this grill on my blog.

loveboxer 07-29-2010 07:31 PM

Sounds good on the weber front...

Which are better, stainless steel, porcelain-coated cast iron or porcelain enamel cooking grates?

Does it matter?

Johnny_Crunch 07-29-2010 07:34 PM

stainless would be my choice

gtsum 07-29-2010 07:34 PM

at that price point you are likely looking at porcelain coated grates. I prefer stainless steel myself, or cast iron...but unlikely to get SS grates at that price

BBQ Grail 07-29-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveboxer (Post 1352815)
Sounds good on the weber front...

Which are better, stainless steel, porcelain-coated cast iron or porcelain enamel cooking grates?

Does it matter?

Not stainless for me...

I prefer the porcelain coated cast iron that are on mine.

Smokin Turkey 07-29-2010 09:17 PM

Weber also gas the option of the cast grates without the coating. I'm a purist and prefer seasoned steel.

BBQ Grail 07-29-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Turkey (Post 1352913)
Weber also gas the option of the cast grates without the coating. I'm a purist and prefer seasoned steel.

Purist?

So only purists want steel? If you were really a purist you'd be cooking on a stick over an open fire.

What exactly does purist mean?

Midnight Smoke 07-29-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1352920)
What exactly does purist mean?

a purist is a person, gamer, or audience member who considers modifications to a particular entertainment item unnecessary or even offensive

:confused:

RichardF 07-29-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Turkey (Post 1352913)

as an owner of a weber gasser that's lived exposed in some harsh places for many years i can only say great things about the product.

the cast iron grates are great provided you maintain them all the time and are ok with replacing them more often than you would ss grates or a porcelain covered grate. if i was getting a grill fro my mom it would have the ss grates for ease of cleaning.

also - does your mom have natural gas piped to her house? if yes, I'd think about getting a natural gas grill and hard piping it in to the house supply. how great would it be for mom (i.e. you) if she didn't have to worry about propane tanks

loveboxer 07-30-2010 11:04 AM

Thanks a bunch all!!

She does have natural gas piped to the grill! The less maintenance of SS graits is a great tip because she had to replace the graits on her last grill two times and it irked her..

So, after digesting all the input, I think a weber with SS grates is the way to go...

Next, looking to see what is available, on sale, etc...

Thanks again!

twisterbret 07-30-2010 02:14 PM

You can find some Webers in great shape on Craigs List. Then go and grab a Grill Grate. They work really well! 3 sections will work but 4 is better.

http://www.grillgrate.com/

2nd choice is porcelain coated cast iron. But they are almost the same price as the grill grates.

RichardF 07-30-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twisterbret (Post 1353653)
You can find some Webers in great shape on Craigs List.

if you go the craigslist route you may not find a grill set up for natural gas. weber sells a conversion kit, but i don't know if it's available for all their grills.. you should check for avalibility before you buy used.