The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Suggestions? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12745)

kcquer 07-27-2005 05:43 AM

Suggestions?

I'm cooking in a small non-sanctioned contest next month, there are very few rules. Only one turn in, it can be anything.

My first thought was a porkloin stuffed with a sausage stuffing (maple fatty 8) ). Would make for a nice presentation, but I'm not sure it's "Q" enough.

What sounds like a good single catagory turn in to you guys?

thillin 07-27-2005 06:07 AM

Ribs or pulled pork.

chad 07-27-2005 06:18 AM

My response from yesterday got dropped when the server burped!

Pick something you have confidence in. With this kind of event I'm thinking the "WOW" factor comes into play. A really nice pork loin with the "surprise" factor and great moist flavor would probably work.

How much time do you have? That will certainly come into play.

parrothead 07-27-2005 07:29 AM

What do you consider your specialty? I'd go with that.

Bill-Chicago 07-27-2005 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad
My response from yesterday got dropped when the server burped!

Pick something you have confidence in. With this kind of event I'm thinking the "WOW" factor comes into play. A really nice pork loin with the "surprise" factor and great moist flavor would probably work.

I like Chads "wow" factor idea. Living in the heart of BBQ country (or one of the top 3, not to start a TX,TN, KC war) you can get the four "standards" pretty much anywhere, and people will already be biased (some judges prefer wet versus dry).

But a stuffed loin, no preconceived notion on how it should be cooked or how it tastes.

And as far as flavor, you can get one heck of a good smoke ring and flavor in there, and the bullseye presentation it a nice touch.

But also agree with Greg and Chad, go with you specialty, unless its Spam.

BBQchef33 07-27-2005 08:58 AM

i did a really cool stuffing in the pork chops this weekend. i suck at measutrments, but use these ingriedents to make asw much stuffing as u need. mostly the apples and then a small amounts of each cherry to make a little less than an equal amount of apple.

Diced apples (red delicious or those red and gold ones, forgot the names)
Diced red marachino cherries soaked in rum and brandy(start now).
Diced green candied cherries.
Diced Rainer cherries
Wedges of nectarine, peeled and smooshed
Chopped Walnuts
chopped parsley
tablespoon or 2 of brown sugar
3-4 tables sauces Saucey Susan (spiced apricots... duck sauce would do if you must).
sprinkle of apple pie spice.

saute a few slices of finley diced red onion in a stick of butter. when carmelized pour this over the fruits and stuff into the loin.

Trout_man22 07-27-2005 10:28 AM

Quote:

duck sauce would do if you must
How many ducks do you have to squeeze to make a good sauce? :roll:

kcquer 07-27-2005 05:05 PM

Quote:

To quote the info packet I have, "turn ins will be about 8:30pm". I'm guessing we'll be able to set up first thing in the morning. So roughly 12 hrs at most.
I need to call the contest organizer and see what else I can learn. It also states there will be 25-30 judges, but doesn't say how many of them your turn in has to feed.
Bob(my boss) and I decided that cooking for turn in only wouldn't be any fun, so we're gonna cook for the guys in the shop and their families and for visitors too. Sounds like a lot of fun, really looking forward to it.