The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Oklahoma joe offset smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170676)

papitman 09-09-2013 08:09 PM

Oklahoma joe offset smoker

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone cooked on a Oklahoma Joe like this one????? How do you like it? It was the thickest, heaviest steel smoker I've ever seen Lowes have, to me it was worth $500
Attachment 84918

KingofTheCoals 09-09-2013 08:35 PM

Nice smoker. Enjoy! :thumb:

IamMadMan 09-09-2013 08:59 PM

If it works the way you want, then all is well. Keep us posted on your progress.

nucornhusker 09-09-2013 09:00 PM

It's a good starter pit, I had one similar. It will make some good food for you and those close to you.

Packmanjim 09-09-2013 09:03 PM

Those are great cookers. Nothing beats cooking on an offset.

markrvp 09-09-2013 09:33 PM

I have looked at that smoker and I think the Old Country Wrangler at Academy is a better pit for the same money. The firebox is welded on, not bolted, and there is a deflector over the firebox opening into the cook chamber... plus the smoke stack opening is at grate level and is a larger diameter. If you want to see one in action, check out the "Cooking with Franklin" videos by Aaron Franklin on Youtube.

I would have bought one already, but I've convinced myself I need to save up and get a larger offset

Callahan-que 09-09-2013 09:50 PM

Congrats on the new pit, have fun with it. I had a similar pits when I was younger.

DownHomeQue 09-09-2013 09:52 PM

Nice Smoker I say it's a good buy for the money... Heads and shoulders above my starter pit that's one to hold on too!!!

tker32 09-09-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markrvp (Post 2618917)
I have looked at that smoker and I think the Old Country Wrangler at Academy is a better pit for the same money. The firebox is welded on, not bolted, and there is a deflector over the firebox opening into the cook chamber... plus the smoke stack opening is at grate level and is a larger diameter. If you want to see one in action, check out the "Cooking with Franklin" videos by Aaron Franklin on Youtube.

I would have bought one already, but I've convinced myself I need to save up and get a larger offset

Not that it is a huge deal, but the smoker used in the Aaron Franklin videos is the Old Country Ranch Hand from Academy. It's quite a bit smaller than the Wrangler.

markrvp 09-09-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tker32 (Post 2618940)
Not that it is a huge deal, but the smoker used in the Aaron Franklin videos is the Old Country Ranch Hand from Academy. It's quite a bit smaller than the Wrangler.

Thanks for the correction. The smaller one is 1/4" thick and $499. The bigger one is 1/8" steel and $299. If the bigger one were made of 1/4" I probably would have bought it even though I really want something even bigger.

sliding_billy 09-10-2013 04:33 AM

Not a bad pit. The one things about pits like those is the inconsistency of the builds. If it is holding air and temp pretty well, you should get plenty of good cooks out of it. Just don't be surprised when those good cooks get you yearning for a more expensive smoker. :grin:

Diesel Dave 09-10-2013 05:03 AM

^^^^what he said!!!

You'll get going and get the bug.......then it's off to "I need that one now" :laugh:

harris92 09-10-2013 06:27 AM

Congrats on the offset! I believe "ButtBurner" has a similar model and has turned out some fantastic looking cooks...:grin:

ButtBurner 09-10-2013 06:29 AM

I have one. It was $429 not $500 from Lowes.

I like it just fine.

I dont see an issue with the bolt on firebox. If there is ever a problem with it it can be easily replaced. I have had not a leakage between the 2 chambers either.

I dont have an Academy Sports in my state so I could not compare it to one of those smokers.

But mine works just fine, holds temps well, welds are fine, I have no complaints.

I did do a few mods, the most important was tuning plates. I also extended the chimney to grate level but I have cooked with the extension on and off and dont see any difference either way so I am not sure the value of that.

I use one stick about every 45 mins or so, that seems to be the norm with these types of smokers

ButtBurner 09-10-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harris92 (Post 2619182)
Congrats on the offset! I believe "ButtBurner" has a similar model and has turned out some fantastic looking cooks...:grin:

ha thanks buddy just saw your comment lol