The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Burnt ends for competition box (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137876)

ederan42 07-05-2012 02:44 PM

Burnt ends for competition box

I want to start adding burnt ends to my brisket box but I have a couple questions about cooking burnt ends at competitions. Do you separate the point from the flat and then wrap the flat in foil and place in the cambro? Does the flat still remain juicy if it is held for a few hours? The only other method I can think of is cooking two briskets.

I am a one man team, so I would rather not buy two briskets for a competition if I don't have to. Thanks for everybody's help!

va92bronco 07-05-2012 02:48 PM

I cook just one Brisket. When the flat is done, I separate the point from the flat and cube up the point. Flat gets wrapped and placed in a cooler. Cubed point gets rubbed and some sauce added and placed in like a pie dish for a few more hours in the smoker.

If you cooked the whole packer right. It should be plenty juicy after a rest of a couple of hours.

If you make burnt ends. Only use them if they are super awesome fantastic. If you feel like they are only so so. Then just leave them out.

cpw 07-05-2012 02:50 PM

I think the general approach is to cook the whole thing til the flat is probe tender, separate, foil, and cooler the flat. While the flat is resting, cube, rub and (if you prefer) sauce the point, place back on smoker while the flat rests.

Divemaster 07-05-2012 02:56 PM

I actually split my briskets prior to cooking. That way I can control each piece of meat.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Balls Casten 07-05-2012 02:59 PM

We will cook whole and cambro when the flat is done.
After rib turn in, we seperate point and flat and make our burnt ends.
Flat goes back in cambro and burnt ends on the smoker.
Pull burnt ends just before boxing.

Big Mike 07-05-2012 04:02 PM

I cook only one brisket. I separate the point from the flat before the brisket goes in the cooker.

Shady 07-05-2012 08:10 PM

I separate the point when the flat is done, rub and sauce the whole point and cook till finished then I cube it. Flat goes into the cambro wrapped.

motoeric 07-05-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divemaster (Post 2123153)
I actually split my briskets prior to cooking. That way I can control each piece of meat.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Jeff,

What temp do you cook your point to?

Eric

ederan42 07-05-2012 09:34 PM

Thanks for all the help, gentlemen!