The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WSM vs UDS - Confused (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27088)

Meat Burner 05-13-2007 10:55 PM

WSM vs UDS - Confused

Looking at the WSM or building a UDS. Advantages or Disadvantages of each. Don't know which is better. Thanks Bros. for you input.

The_Kapn 05-13-2007 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 394225)
Looking at the WSM or building a UDS. Advantages or Disadvantages of each. Don't know which is better. Thanks Bros. for you input.

Have you read the voluminous amount of threads here and elsewhere?
Tons of info.

Just curious!

TIM

Azinine 05-13-2007 11:20 PM

WSM:

pros: you don't have to build it, great customer support, it's gonna rock right out of the box. Much prettier than a UDS.

cons: The 18" diameter kinda sucks sometimes... It costs $200.

UDS: (this is coming from a guy who does not own a UDS... only read about them a lot)

pros: Cheap to build. Higher capacity (if you build two racks). Seems to get longer burn times. Apparently they are a Q microwave so your cook times may be quicker.

cons: They're ugly. If you need to refuel during an extra long cook it may be difficult.

thirdeye 05-13-2007 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 394225)

Only you can figure out the best one for you. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...smsmile8gm.gif The WSM is a fantastic cooker. I have recommended them to many people. That said, I have a BDS and have recommended drum cookers to many people too.

Some differences are: a drum does not have a water pan, has a larger capacity and gives the food a distinct flavor from the fats dripping on the coals. Since they are bigger than a WSM, they are harder to move around and depending on your particular drum design they could be harder to clean. I think my BDS is easier to run than a WSM.

CarbonToe 05-14-2007 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdeye (Post 394239)
a drum does not have a water pan, has a larger capacity and gives the food a distinct flavor from the fats dripping on the coals.

Could you acheive this by leaving the water pan out of the WSM?

tony76248 05-14-2007 07:03 AM

We have added pictures to this post. DeeZ finished his charcoal basket and racks and did his first cook on his this past Saturday.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26997

Azinine 05-14-2007 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarbonToe (Post 394267)

I don't think so. Since the food is so close to the coals in the WSM I believe the water pan is necessary to act as a baffle. Maybe somebody else knows for sure, though. I would think that if you wanted to try it without the water pan you should only use the top rack at least.

schoonch 05-14-2007 09:22 AM

Has anyone ever tried adding a water pan to the UDS?

motley que 05-14-2007 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schoonch (Post 394344)
Has anyone ever tried adding a water pan to the UDS?

that in my mind would defeat the purpose of the UDS. You want the dripping fat to hit the coals to flava the food, not possible with a water pan

tony76248 05-14-2007 09:29 AM

On a UDS it might be a great idea for a long slow smoke with a very lean piece of meat to prevent it from drying out.

DeezQ 05-14-2007 10:05 AM

I have had ideas of adding water pans attached to the sides to increase the humidity. This would still allow for the fat/juices to still drip into the coals. Still thinking about how to execute but I have a few ideas.

swamprb 05-15-2007 03:26 AM

If you want to add a water pan, why not check out the Magnum?

http://www.randyq.addr.com/friends/m...abrication.htm

It looks like you may be set up with the tools and know-how to take on the task of going this direction.

Brian

qman 05-15-2007 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarbonToe (Post 394267)

CT, the short answer is no. You can do some things without the water pan in WMS, but they involve higher temp, short cooks. The operating theory behind the BDS/UDS requires a larger separation between the fire and the cooking racks than you can acheive in the WMS. You need 24 inches[to me that is the minimum, more is ideal] in order to cook directly over the coal bed and still do low-and-slow.

swamprb 05-15-2007 06:07 AM

Another option

Here is the No weld ElCheapo UDS tutorial
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=23436&page=15

It's about as low tech as you can get. You don't even need the Weber lid, the drum lid will work just as well or better, I just happened to have a few rustbucket kettles I picked up on CL and decided to personalize them. I'll post some pics of the latest drum I built, it's a nice drum that contained hazordous waste from the Hanford Nuclear Reactor site!

Brian

Ron_L 05-15-2007 07:28 AM

Here's my take on it. Both cookers have been shown to product quality Q. It's a tool. You get out of it what you put into it. With either one you have to learn the tool and adapt it to you own cooking style. You need to sit back and decide what features of each are important to you. Do you want the shortest learning curve? Then go with the WSM. Do you want the satisfaction of building it yourself? Then build an UDS.

For me, there was no decision. I am not handy at all so building a UDS was out of the question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azinine (Post 394233)
WSM:

cons: The 18" diameter kinda sucks sometimes... It costs $200.

Just a couple of thoughts on this.

1. The 18" diameter can be an issue with long racks of ribs or with a large brisket. Just roll the ribs. For a large brisket drape it over a rib rack or a stainless bowl.

2. For me, the WSM was cheaper. Until recently the only choice to buy a UDS was the Big Drum Smoker and thier smallest model as $325.

So... Meatburner... Here's a thought... If you are good with tools, build a UDS. It will give you some good experience and would be a fun project. If you don't like it start watching Craig's List and eBay for a deal on a WSM. You can still cook in the UDS in the mean time. I bought my first WSM for $140 brand new before the price increased a couple of years ago and I bought my second one for $60 (I think) off of eBay from a guy who clears out houses before demolition. You can get a deal on one if you are patient.