The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   First time vending! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50273)

Bbq Bubba 10-06-2008 10:21 AM

First time vending!

1 Attachment(s)
Mike and i have decided to expand our horizons :shock: a bit, we've been selling our BBQ supplies at a couple local farmers markets and have noticed a call for some food!

Applied for a TFP (temp food permit) on Monday, cooked butts and ribs on Friday (nice having that comm. kitchen) and set up EARLY Sunday morning.
Had meat back up to temp by 7:30, inspector walked thru at 7:45, passed with flying colors and were serving by 9 am!

Our goal was to sell 50 PP sandwiches, 6 slabs of ribs and as many combos (chips and drink) as we could by 2 pm.

Ended up selling 42 sammies (many combos) and all the ribs by 1:00 and that was a SLOW day as far as people coming by the market!

Handed out lots of cards and even made a few sauce sales!

What a great experience! Planning on the next 3 weekends for a little larger crowd.

Thanks for all the help from this forum! Did i already say i love my job! :cool:

Dr_KY 10-06-2008 10:42 AM

Congrats man !!!!! Thanks for picture and inspiring me to get off my backside and do the same.

big brother smoke 10-06-2008 11:09 AM

WTG, Bubba and Mike! What was in the combo besides the sammich?

lazybonesmoke1 10-06-2008 11:33 AM

Great job guys! I know it is a lot of work setting up and selling food to customers that you hope buy from you. Where did you guys set-up at? Maybe I'll swing by and get some BBQ. I love going to farmers' markets.

sfisch 10-06-2008 11:58 AM

Pretty good job for a couple of rookies!!!!! Good to see Mike dusted off that cooker and got it out of the garage.

Scott

Fatback Joe 10-06-2008 12:11 PM

Congrats Bubba! Sounds like you are off to a great start.

Spydermike72 10-06-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfisch (Post 752290)
Pretty good job for a couple of rookies!!!!! Good to see Mike dusted off that cooker and got it out of the garage.

Scott

That cooker has been cooking since May of this year, and it has been doing a great job!! I love that thing, I just wish it were larger!!

michiana mark 10-06-2008 12:57 PM

Good to see that "Mr. T" was there to keep things running correctly. Great job guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-D

Bbq Bubba 10-06-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big brother smoke (Post 752255)
WTG, Bubba and Mike! What was in the combo besides the sammich?

For our first HD inspection, we didn't want to deal with cold storage so just chips and a soda.
This week will be the same meat (more) but were going with coleslaw and possibly beans!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazybonesmoke1 (Post 752277)
Great job guys! I know it is a lot of work setting up and selling food to customers that you hope buy from you. Where did you guys set-up at? Maybe I'll swing by and get some BBQ. I love going to farmers' markets.

Thanks Deni, were in New Baltimore, end of Washington by the lake!

Spydermike72 10-06-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiana mark (Post 752326)
Good to see that "Mr. T" was there to keep things running correctly. Great job guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-D

Yeah, he was in charge, sometimes a little too much!! Thanks Mark!!

puff 10-06-2008 06:53 PM

Lookin' good my brotha's! :biggrin:

txschutte 10-06-2008 07:00 PM

Mi. HD must be much more lenient than NE. I would never be able to vend food in an open air setting w/o a kitchen setup. Congrats on more cash flow, guys.

Bbq Bubba 10-06-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txschutte (Post 752555)
Mi. HD must be much more lenient than NE. I would never be able to vend food in an open air setting w/o a kitchen setup. Congrats on more cash flow, guys.

Well, we will have to have the sides on the tent next time, and a bigger piece of carpet on the ground, but other than that, we had the wash station, not much to it other than that! :biggrin:

Qcrue2U 10-07-2008 01:46 AM

CONGRATS!!!

Good job!

TOPS BBQ 10-08-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spydermike72 (Post 752299)
That cooker has been cooking since May of this year, and it has been doing a great job!! I love that thing, I just wish it were larger!!

It's always the same with us, you purchase a "huge" smoker, to find out that when you start vending that smoker is not as large as you once thought.:shock:

Great job on first time out!

BBQ_MAFIA 10-08-2008 07:57 PM

Congrats and good luck on your next vending day.