The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Meat Slicer (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61262)

TOPS BBQ 05-06-2009 10:56 AM

Meat Slicer

Because I cater a lot of tri-tip, I take along my Very old, but very functional Globe slicer. My problem is that it weighs a little more than a hundred pounds and is cumbersome to transport since I don't have a trailer.

I have been looking on CL for slicers and have come across a few that I'm not sure if they are worth the price. Here are the following slicers and prices I found:

Fleetwood Model M220S Mignon S - This is a 9" slicer - Few years old. $275

Univex 10" Slicer - Model unknown - Few years old - $450

Hobart Slicer - Model 1612E - $500

My preference is the Hobart, but that farker is about the same weight as what I have now. The Univex would be my second choice, but not sure how good that brand is. Fleetwood? I hadn't even heard of them before and the model number is not a current one.

Any suggestions?

BTW - Does anyone know of a reliable site I can go to and find out how old a slicer is by model number? I couldn't find anything about my slicer A-8403.

Sledneck 05-06-2009 11:07 AM

I have the globe chefmate GC 12 off of craigslist for $150. Iy works great and is not heavy at all

Jeremiah 05-06-2009 01:18 PM

I picked up a used 10" Univex on CL along with a stainless steel restaurant style prep table for about $400. It's a decent slicer, but the thing is damn heavy. Probably not going to me that much lighter (if at all) than a a standard Hobart or Berkel slicer of similar blade size.

HoDeDo 05-06-2009 07:27 PM

I have a fleetwood 312E-- it is a great unit. I rarely use it. If I didnt think it would cost as much as you would pay for it to ship it to you, I would add it to your list.

I think the fleetwood stuff is common out here... my guess is that they dont have wide distro out there, so you dont see them... just like anything else big and heavy; If they dont have someplace already over the mountian range... it costs too much to drag them over. lol

TOPS BBQ 05-07-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoDeDo (Post 918825)
I have a fleetwood 312E-- it is a great unit. I rarely use it. If I didnt think it would cost as much as you would pay for it to ship it to you, I would add it to your list.

I think the fleetwood stuff is common out here... my guess is that they dont have wide distro out there, so you dont see them... just like anything else big and heavy; If they dont have someplace already over the mountian range... it costs too much to drag them over. lol

Hey Andy, how heavy is your slicer? This one says it's 40 lbs. They are local, so no shipping costs.:-D