The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Performer (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159985)

Higgledy 05-02-2013 06:13 AM

Performer

Is the Performer with the gas igniter worth the extra money over the OTG? It seems like a huge jump in money, to me.

Caper 05-02-2013 06:33 AM

It's very handy, I really like it. My brother on the other hand thought I was a nut, as I had a perfectly good OTS.

MisterChrister 05-02-2013 06:51 AM

Yes. Buy at least three, you won't regret it!

benniesdad 05-02-2013 07:03 AM

IMO it definitely is worth it, but that really depends on how you use it and how much you use it. If all you are going to do it use it to lite a chimney of charcoal and pour it back in the Performer, then starter cubes will do the same thing for you with just a little more hassle. Where the Touch-N-Go really shines is if you use the charcoal baskets in your Performer because you can lite the charcoal directly in them and keep your charcoal in them for easy handling. If you smother out the fire by closing off all the vents, all you have to do the next time is open the vents, give the baskets a shake, put some new charcoal on top if needed and then push the button. I also use the gas igniter to lite charcoal for my other grills and WSM. I know other people do it, but I have never felt comfortable lighting charcoal on top of a side burner or a normal gas grill, but that is me. In other words, I use mine a lot.

Personally I think Weber made a bonehead move only making it available in their top of the line Performer and packaging it together with a goofy timer. I wish instead they would have expanded its availability to other models. But hey, that is called marketing.

Pappy 05-02-2013 07:22 AM

I would do it again.

ssv3 05-02-2013 07:24 AM

Way worth it. Makes lighting charcoal a breeze. Love the ease of maneuverability with the casters. The table, the charcoal bin, charcoal baskets are awesome/useful too.

Muddy River Boy 05-02-2013 08:21 AM

Dont know how I ever lived without one. Kinda like a thermapen, you dont really understand what the big deal is until you buy one:grin:

charrederhead 05-02-2013 08:51 AM

I hate to admit I don't love my Performer as much since I bought a weed burner. :cry:

There is no faster way to light the charcoal.

HOWEVER, if I could have only ONE grill (misery) it WOULD be a Performer. :thumb:

martyleach 05-02-2013 01:33 PM

I use mine to light a chimney. Very easy. Performer is a great product. If you can afford the gas assist, get it as you will use it.

grantw 05-02-2013 03:58 PM

I really like mine, for lighting baskets i use an electric, i love the gas assist for the charcoal baskets it comes with, i turn it on walk to the store on the corner and when i get back the coals are red hot. the performer is the grill i use as weber intended weather its both baskets off to the side or in the middle.

Trumpstylz 05-02-2013 04:38 PM

Spend the money on the gas igniter. You won't regret it.

Toney Marconi 05-02-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benniesdad (Post 2467639)
I know other people do it, but I have never felt comfortable lighting charcoal on top of a side burner or a normal gas grill, but that is me.

Why don't you feel comfortable doing this? This is what i do. Am I missing something? Is there a reason NOT to do this?

chriscw81 05-02-2013 07:27 PM

i absolutely love my performer platinum, get one, now!!!! it was out of my price range so i had to wait months for it to pop up on CL(i dont live in an area where they pop up often) and i drove over an hour to get it. well worth it!!!

Corky 05-02-2013 08:24 PM

I love mine. I think I use it more for quick cooks than I would if it didn't have that easy ignition system.

benniesdad 05-02-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toney Marconi (Post 2468181)
Why don't you feel comfortable doing this? This is what i do. Am I missing something? Is there a reason NOT to do this?

I know lots of folks do it and I used to do it myself. But I just never liked the stuff that falls out the bottom of the chimney falling down on the burner and gas line. Personal choice.

martyleach 05-02-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benniesdad (Post 2468391)
I know lots of folks do it and I used to do it myself. But I just never liked the stuff that falls out the bottom of the chimney falling down on the burner and gas line. Personal choice.

In addition to my Performer, I also have a gasser with a side burner. I share the same concern with you as all my BBQ's are on a wood deck. I bought the large drip pans that you put under your leaky 1962 truck at Walmart under most my BBQ's to keep hot stuff from hitting the deck. I put an aluminum drip pan on that right under the side burner to catch anything.

I had a UDS fire once that could have taken out my house. I am quite cautious now.

javahog2002 05-02-2013 11:49 PM

It is def worth the difference if you are buying on CL. I have 2 Performers with the little gas tank. It lasts forever. I use the gas to light chimneys and transfer to other grills and to light in the performer.

Higgledy 05-03-2013 06:08 AM

Can a kettle smoke meat as well as a WSM? I'm talking about the taste of the finished product not temperature control or convenience. It sounds like WSM controls temp better and requires less attention during the burn.

Toney Marconi 05-03-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriscw81 (Post 2468308)
i absolutely love my performer platinum, get one, now!!!! it was out of my price range so i had to wait months for it to pop up on CL(i dont live in an area where they pop up often) and i drove over an hour to get it. well worth it!!!

It's all in the timing I guess. There is one in Fredericksburg now on The CraigsList. Looks like it is in really good shape.

rcbaughn 05-03-2013 10:30 AM

I bought a Performer brand new from Home Depot and it was before I did research on them and I ended up with one that doesn't have the gas assist. From what I've read it really is handy, but lighting with the Weber starter cubes is super easy too.

But I guess if you're grilling a lot, after time the cost of cubes vs. the gas assist will start to close and the propane option will end up being cheaper.

No matter what you get though, you'll love it. I have got so much enjoyment from my Performer.

Higgledy 05-03-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toney Marconi (Post 2468776)
It's all in the timing I guess. There is one in Fredericksburg now on The CraigsList. Looks like it is in really good shape.

Thanks, but their is no way I am driving the mixing bowl on such a nice weekend.

BobM 05-04-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgledy (Post 2467605)
Is the Performer with the gas igniter worth the extra money over the OTG? It seems like a huge jump in money, to me.

This is a personal matter.
My BBQ area has limited space, I need to keep it flexable. I choose an OTG and got 2 small side tables which I can move around and use with my WSMs as well. I like my 22 1/2" OTG so much, I just got a 26 3/4" one too. :razz:
I use a high output propane torch to light the charcoal in my WSM, it works just as good in my OTG.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgledy (Post 2468571)
Can a kettle smoke meat as well as a WSM? I'm talking about the taste of the finished product not temperature control or convenience. It sounds like WSM controls temp better and requires less attention during the burn.

On a short smoke, with a small amount of food, kettles are great.
On a longer smoke, WSMs are better due to their fuel and grate capacity.

Higgledy 05-04-2013 11:49 PM

I bought a Performer Platinum in black today. I just finished assembling it. I can't wait to use it tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice.

Higgledy 05-05-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobM (Post 2469595)
This is a personal matter.
My BBQ area has limited space, I need to keep it flexable. I choose an OTG and got 2 small side tables which I can move around and use with my WSMs as well. I like my 22 1/2" OTG so much, I just got a 26 3/4" one too. :razz:
I use a high output propane torch to light the charcoal in my WSM, it works just as good in my OTG.

On a short smoke, with a small amount of food, kettles are great.
On a longer smoke, WSMs are better due to their fuel and grate capacity.

I would have been happy with starting using a chimney or torch, but my wife would not use a torch or a chimney. She scared she'll catch something on fire. :loco::loco:

cricky101 05-07-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgledy (Post 2468571)

I have both, and unless I'm making a whole mess of food, use the Performer more often for smoking. I did two 7-pound butts on it this weekend and they turned out great. I wouldn't do an overnight smoke on the performer, but only adjusted it a couple of times during last weekend's session.