The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Smoked ham (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8066)

ckkphoto 04-25-2004 08:52 PM

Smoked ham

:? Who can tell? My wife got a partially cooked ham and I smoke finished it for four hours over apple this weekend. Its the only thing besides salmon that I have ever heard her comment on loving. (she isn't a BBQ fan--the HORROR) But dang she dove into the smoked ham, and all I could think was it wasn't smokey enough. go figure.

Solidkick 04-26-2004 05:12 PM

Yea, the ones I've done didn't take a lot of smoke either, maybe an 1/8th of an inch smoke ring. I run mine to about 145* and then foil, so that could be why mine aren't real smokey. But your wife is right, it's divin' into ham, for sure!

did you use all wood, or charcoal and chunks?

ckkphoto 04-26-2004 06:45 PM

I pretty much only smoke on all wood. I use lump to start the fire, and then wood from there on out. I get my firewood for free (cause I'm a scrounge) and if I paid money and used lump for all the smoking I do, we couldn't afford to buy the meat. :roll:

brdbbq 04-27-2004 07:18 AM

Re: Smoked ham

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckkphoto
:? Who can tell? My wife got a partially cooked ham and I smoke finished it for four hours over apple this weekend. Its the only thing besides salmon that I have ever heard her comment on loving. (she isn't a BBQ fan--the HORROR) But dang she dove into the smoked ham, and all I could think was it wasn't smokey enough. go figure.

Where you getting apple down here ?

Bigdog 04-27-2004 10:49 AM

I am smoking ham for 50 this weekend. How much ham do I need? :?:

parrothead 04-27-2004 10:57 AM

Quote:

I am smoking ham for 50 this weekend. How much ham do I need?
50 servings should do ya.

chad 04-27-2004 11:13 AM

Depends on whether you're dealing with bone-in ham -- figure 5-6 oz per person (this is hit or miss :D) you may be deaing with lumberjacks!

So, even with whole hams (bone-in) probably 20 pounds would do ya!

Bigdog 04-27-2004 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrothead
Quote:

Thanks Greg, you're a big help. :roll:

BBQchef33 04-27-2004 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigdogSmoker
Quote:

Quote:

greg is wrong.

you will need 55. Cooks gotta sample throughout the process dont he? Then that sammich at midnight.

Bigdog 04-27-2004 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigdogSmoker
Quote:

Quote:

greg is wrong.

you will need 55. Cooks gotta sample throughout the process dont he? Then that sammich at midnight.

What a bunch of smart ass farkers. :P

BBQchef33 04-27-2004 11:25 AM

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-YUP.

:mrgreen:

parrothead 04-27-2004 11:26 AM

I knew Dave would chime in. He has the most experience with this sort of thing. I'm getting pretty good at it though now. 20 sounds pretty good. If ya like leftovers, then shoot at 25. I always shoot a little high, just for the left over factor, and that ensures enough.

Bigdog 04-27-2004 11:34 AM

Thanks guys. No lumberjacks this time; just a bunch of teachers, mostly women. I knew that David, the Bretheren King of Catering would come through for me. I thought about PMing him about it, but then I would have missed out on all the wisecracks. :wink:

brdbbq 04-27-2004 11:36 AM

Got to have them cracks

Bill-Chicago 04-27-2004 11:40 AM

Cracked pepper on the ham is good