Burnt ends ?

B

BobF

Someone please fill me in on burnt ends. I should have figured this out by now, but ...
I know its part of a smoked brisket. I think its the edges that might get burnt while cooking it in the smoker. Could be part of the point and not the flat.
I put a packer on the smoker whole. I cook at 225 for many hours. Now what?
Someone tell me what I am missing?

When the flat is done, remove the point. Cut the point up into little cubes, put them in a pan with more rub (sauce if you desire) and put them back into the smoker.

After a couple more hours you'll have small cubes of smoked brisket heaven...

Thirdeye has a good method: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=661970&postcount=3

Third eye is the perfect solution... you can go traditional with rub or add sauce.

A Burnt ends Platter. I think cubes are okay if you want to make hor devours. But this rustic style is very impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
attachment.php

I'm having trouble getting this in perspective. They look really good, though. How do you prepare them? Do you pull the point like a chuckie?

those are smittys burndt ends. I make em like Thirdeye... but I take horrid pics.

now while Me and Thirdeye use the point... smittys and the like go through a lot of Que and frankly have a little tub that whenever they pull a brisket out for separation, they cut off the drier and over smoked or thin parts and plop them in the tub, When they get enough they have a special on them. They are mostly made up of the ends of the brisket... I saw them do this even BEFORE separation at smittys. Some don't even separate the brisket and just cut right on through the flat and point as one piece.

I have also had good luck at mixing in all that fat I slop off with the cuts. as they smoke.

Prep is... simply reseason and smoke again.

Some joints pour in sauce, which reconstitutes the ends and mix it all together for a "chopped" beef BBQ sandwich. Its good cross utilization of product. I always thought it was strange to purposely try to make burnt ends but some do.

The only thing that comes close to the deliciousness of a burnt end like that is a deep fried half rack of ribs that was smoked before. Yummm

My pics of stuff I use for burnt ends. Note how crappy my pics are. I need another camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back