Stubbs Charcoal Briquettes

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Saw a bag of Stubbs Charcoal Briquettes at my local QFC (Krogers) I was in a hurry and didn't look it over too closely other than it was in a small bag. Haven't seen or heard of it before, has anyone tried it?

Stubb's 100% All Natural Charcoal Briquets

Picked up a 9lb. bag of Stubb's briqs, kinda spendy, $6.97 at the grocery store.
Here are a few pics.

100_2825.jpg

100_2826.jpg

Made by Cowboy Charcoal Co. Is this the same manufacturer of Cowboy Lump?

100_2827.jpg

100_2828.jpg

I may try it in the WSM tomorrow for a rib cook and see how it is.

Don't see it mentioned on their site? http://www.cowboycharcoal.com/index.htm

What's next? Jimmy Buffet Lump in Paradise?

Claim on the bag states: 95% Hardwood and 5% Vegetable binder.

Saw some 8.8 lb bags of briqs at Whole Foods last weekend (their brand) all natural 100 % hardwood for 6.99. Have you tried them yet?

Paul Prudhomme strikes again!

Don't shop at Whole Paycheck!

.02 cents difference...you ARE a cheap bas*ard...:twisted: I was there lookin' for Dizzy Pig so I could save on shipping...but they don't carry it yet. You got your list ready?

Used it once for a grilling contest. So far, so good...

Last edited by a moderator:
I got almost 7 hours burn time in the WSM today with just 1 Weber chimney + 10 briqs, using the Stubbs charcoal. I cooked 3 racks of Costco Pork Loin Back ribs, rolled on the top grate, using Apple for smoke. Fired up the way I usually do, with the torch, vents wide open, hit 220* and added the ribs and tuned down the vents and it stayed steady 235* dome for 3 hours. Flipped the ribs and sprayed with Apple juice and opened the vents and raised the temps to 250-270* to finish up (BRITU like cook) Ribs were done in 5.5 hours, guests were late so they got foiled an into the Cookshack to hold.
Beautiful smoke ring-so much that one of the guests politely asked my wife if she could microwave them, because she thought they may be undercooked(pregnant mod!) My wife explained that they had been cooking since 6AM and that it was the smoke ring and not raw meat. No pics so it didn't happen, but I couldn't make this up!

Conclusion: I'd use the Stubbs again for low n' slow- no off smell whatsoever and about the same amount of ash I'd get using Rancher (8 bags left) I'd like to do a long cook and grill with it to get a rounded opinion.

If you see any give it a try!

I picked up a bag at Lowes today too, gonna try it in the UDS this weekend.

I picked up a couple of bags yesterday at Lowes for $8.50. Used it today for a brisket. Good long steady burn with no nasty smell. Ash production was not bad. I liked it and will definitely use it again.

DANG! I just spent $9 for the same thing at my Lowes! Phoenix

Same price here in Gilbert at Lowes.

Used it for a 4 meat practice run. Held a steady temp for a long time. No nasty smell or after taste. Will use it again

I used it yesturday for a butt, no off smell, little ash. used about 22lbs for a 12 hour smoke in the weber 22.5. I will be using this alot..

Sal

Back