Buckboard bacon problem

ipls3355

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I tried my hand at buckboard bacon. Instead of using the High Mountain cure, I found a recipe online and used Tenderquik for the cure. The amount of cure the recipe said to use (1tsp for 2 lbs) didn't match what the TQ recomended (1TBS for 1 lb). But the cure time for the recipe was a lot longer then the TQ said as well (2 weeks vs. 24 hrs). I used the recipe.

I smoked the roast (I was using pork loin) last nite and sliced it this morning. It looked as though the very center didn't have any cure.
BB1.jpg

It is a little hard to see in the picture. But when I fried some up, it became more visible
BB3.jpg

It was a fairly simple recipe, but I need to get the cure amounts straitened out. This batch is hittin the trash. To afraid of the consequences the wife took one look at it and said NFW. She was skeptical from the start. Now I need to redeem myself.

Did you flip it at regular intervals? 1 tsp for 2 lbs sounds like way to little cure, even with the longer cure time. The basic recipe I use is a 50/50 mix of Tenderquick & brown sugar, then use 1 Tablespoon of the mixture per pound of meat. Try that and I believe you will redeem yourself young jedi. AFWIW, curing a loin for BBB or Canadian Bacon should never go less than 6 days from what I've read, the longer the better.

Tenderquick and Hi Mountain Buckboard are, for the most part, low strength cures. Perfect for home use or for folks not familiar with curing. The amount of cure is critical, and is based on weight of the piece. Too little can be a safety issue or like you found out, a curing problem. Too much can lead to a "over salty" product or had you been using a stronger agent (like Instacure) could also be dangerous.

Cure time is based on thickness of the piece, it's also important for similar reasons. The curing temperature is also important. Too cold of a fridge will retard the cure action.

Home curing has been around for a long time and there are many recipes out there that are proven. Sounds like the one you followed either contained a typo or was used for something thin like a pork chop.

I've always looked at home curing like canning. When done correctly, the end result is wonderful and perfectly safe. Many folks learned the hard way when taking canning shortcuts like the oven method, or not following strict cleanliness rules.

Try a proven technique and you will restore both yours and the wife's confidence. If you want to try HM products, I can hook you up with a 8# sample amount or a full box. PM me if interested.

I was worried about the cure amount from the start. But figured I'd better follow the recipe the first time I made it. Next time I will follow the TQ recomended amounts.

Just like everything else, its a learning process. I've had my share of bad ribs, butts and briskets before I started getting the hang of it. Now BBB as well. I'd prefer to eat the meat I prepare, but you also need mistakes to learn from.

Back