• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

question about brisket

happypan

Found some matches.
Reaction score
hi brethren
i was wondering about cooking times in a uds smoker,and found a site that said 1.5/hrs pound for brisket. my question is if i want to smoke a 9 pound brisket, can i cut in half, put on 2 separate racks and proceed to cook as if it were a 4.5 pound brisket please excuse any typos and for the record im shooting for 225-235- degrees F
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you can do that But cut it down the length it will cook much better also do not cook by time/temp you will be disappointed results will be hit and miss at best. cook until the Thickest part of he Flat is *Probe tender.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There Are exceptions to these rules; Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast or
Roasts( Prime rib, Pork loin.....) that need to be cooked to less than well.

thank you
do you mean butterfly or as if ripping a piece of wood through a table saw meaning lets say its 10 inches by 18 inches and 2 inches thick .....i think your suggesting i end up with 2 pieces that are 5 by 18 and 2 inches thick??

thank you
do you mean butterfly or as if ripping a piece of wood through a table saw meaning lets say its 10 inches by 18 inches and 2 inches thick .....i think your suggesting i end up with 2 pieces that are 5 by 18 and 2 inches thick??
^^^^This^^^^

I'm not a fan of cutting a piece of meat in half, either way. I feel that cooking a whole brisket gives me better results. If you are worried about the length of the cook, cook hotter. at about 275 you're looking at an hour per pound and at 300 it will be about 45 minutes per pound.

Yes you can do that But cut it down the length it will cook much better also do not cook by time/temp you will be disappointed results will be hit and miss at best. cook until the Thickest part of he Flat is *Probe tender.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There Are exceptions to these rules; Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast or
Roasts( Prime rib, Pork loin.....) that need to be cooked to less than well.

Cool man, I'm with ya.

Back