First Comp. Sayville NY - How to get sponsors

F

Fire Rescue 22

Looking do to do my first comp this Oct. in Sayville. Can any give me any info on getting started. How do i go about getting Sponsourship?

Start here from our Comp Roadmap section .. a few good threads on sponsorship

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=950080&postcount=12

Most teams don't have sponsors.. Those that do are/were aggressive in their pursuit, compete/win frequently or can provide the potential sponsor something of value in return (new customers/exposure, free BBQ meals in exchange for product/meat etc). Sometimes it's just luck and who you know..

Good luck... I'm sure you'll get some more advice aside from the links above..

See you in Sayville !!

Last edited:
The roadmap, is a good place to start... i got a lot of ideas from there when I started to think about finding sponsorship.

Are you looking to get a quick one time small sponsorship or a real long-term relationship? If you really want to start looking now, my advice at this point is to look for a small sponsorship (such as your entry fee, or the cost of your meats). When presenting your case to the sponsor, focus more on what you can do for them, rather than what you need from them. The more benefit they see in it, the better chance you have. I would recommend contacting the contest organizer and asking how many spectators they are expecting. These numbers can be very enticing to a positional sponsor. Work out a plan for your sponsor to show how you propose on getting people into your cook area and how you intended on pushing their product or service. (For example, will you display their banner? hand out samples, or literature?) You need to show them that you are there not only to cook, but to help them sell what they do. If you have the people, I would suggest dedicating one person as the "sponsor spokesperson" so the rest of the team can focus on what you are there to do. Being your first contest, you will already have your hands full with cooking the 4 KCBS categories.

I just landed my team's first sponsor, despite being in our first season of competition. It wasn't something that happened overnight, but was a relationship that was cultivated for months with my butcher. I would bring in samples and trophies and show him how he was a major part of my success. I took the time to show him how his contribution was important to me. When he began to become interested in the team and what I was doing, I knew it was the right time to approach him about sponsorship. Lucky for me, this was about the same time my contest budget was becoming depleted for the season. Potential sponsors want to see a few things before they decide to lay down their money to help you:

1. They want to see that you are passionate and reasonably successful at what you do. You may have the passion, but at this point you don't have a track record of contests to show success, so that puts you at a big disadvantage. I'm not saying you have to have GC's under your belt (i sure don't) but they want to see that you make it up onto the stage from time to time and get attention... after all, attention paid to your team is attention paid to them. Since you don't have the experience, I suggest you turn the disadvantage into an advantage. Cook up a bunch of food and take it to your potential sponsor. Let them enjoy it and explain how you think that your unique style of cooking would have a good chance at a contest. Even though you are new, a fresh perspective and new cooking style might have an advantage at your first contest.

2. They also want to see that you are financially invested in the endeavor as well, and that this isn't just a passing fad for you. In my case, I could back up my financial commitment by talking about my trailer and my cookers. After discussing how much contests cost and how many I've participated in so far, self-funded they could see I was dedicated. Like a bank or other lending institution, they want to see that you also have something to lose from failure.

All that being said, I would recommend getting a few contests under your belt before approaching somebody for a sponsorship. If you have a good prospect in mind, asking them too early might scare them off and ruin the opportunity for a future relationship. Instead, invite a potential sponsor to the contest as a friend. Feed them and just have a good time. Make it a point to talk to as many people as possible (spectators and other competitors). When the time comes, he'll know how much influence you have at a contest. Also, you never know... they might just suggest the sponsorship before you even ask.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Looking do to do my first comp this Oct. in Sayville. Can any give me any info on getting started. How do i go about getting Sponsourship?

It will be very difficult to get sponsors without having any sort of a track record. Most of our competitions have been funded by my brother and I. We never had the desire to answer to a sponsor. The one sponsor we did have showed up on Sunday just before turn-in and expected to be fed. We both swore we would never have another sponsor. Competitive BBQ is an expensive hobby. Even on the cheap it will cost $300 to $400 for meat and entry fees to start.

yep, sayville was our first comp last year...honestly it's your first comp, its more about going and seeing what it is all about, trying, having fun, and meeting all the local brethren, get your feet wet, make sure you like it, and if you are serious, start looking at some sort of sponsorship, but realize you will have to answer to somebody if they are paying you to represent them.

Back