• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Like the idea of competition BBQ, but don’t like what it actually is

Q_Done_Right

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First off, I mean no disrespect to any competition cooks on here; I know many teams work real hard at this craft and I admire that as well as the success they earn/deserve. I’ve even competed in a local backyard competition myself. Here is my issue with competition BBQ in general:

I don’t like the food and it’s not what I would consider “good or true BBQ.” It’s not how I like to cook my BBQ or the kind of BBQ I would want to order at a well respected Q joint like LA Barbecue in Austin or Hutchins in McKinney (I’ve eaten at both places in Texas by the way). It’s also not at all the kind of BBQ I would want to serve my friends and family. For example, the competition I participated in I took 56th out of 59th place in ribs. I did it for the fun of it just to see what it was really like. And while I made my ribs the same way I make them at home (I didn’t care this time) everyone else was wrapping their ribs in foil with all kinds of stuff (honey, brown sugar, butter, hot sauce, etc.) for two hours at a time. I’ve made my ribs this way before but it tasted a lot more like sweet rib candy then delicious smoked ribs I couldn’t stay away from. Same thing with brisket...I like to cook mine until a nice, dark flavorful bark has formed over 7-9 hours and wrap in butcher paper until finished. On the flip side, most competition briskets seem to be injected (I don’t do) and only cooked for a few hours in the smoke before panned up sitting in a ton of beef broth...I liken this method to making a pot roast that steams itself silly in all that liquid. I could say similar things too about the way pork butts and chicken are made.

Maybe I’m the only one who feels this way about competition BBQ, but I wish it didn’t involve this kind of end product. I’m all for who can make the most tender, juicy and best tasting meats; however, I’m curious why judging standards dictate these over the top tastes where cooks have to do all kinds of things just to stand out. Why can’t good old fashioned smoked BBQ (the kind people would line up for hours to eat at a legendary Q joint) be the standard? This still means cooking ribs that don’t “fall off the bone” for example. I also get that there is more to it like timing, turn in boxes (appearance), etc. yet that doesn’t change how I feel about the meat cooked itself.

Anyway, I would love to start my own team and get into this hardcore (I’m a BBQ nut with 4 smokers in my garage right now), but what competition BBQ actually is is holding me back. Maybe I’m missing something?

Curious if anyone else feels similarly...

Comp BBQ is a completely different world than “regular” BBQ. You aren’t cooking for what YOU like but for 24 strangers who are going to take one bite of your product. These 24 strangers all have their own opinion of what is good. Had you finished top ten vs 56/59, you’d probably feel a whole lot differently. Comp BBQ ain’t for everyone and that’s okay. To each his own.

I'm with the OP. Competitions have morphed into what they are today, and there is no changing it. The most unfortunate part, in my opinion, is that many people that is the way to cook barbecue. They see everything you described on tv & on youtube, and feel that is how barbecue is done. Sadly, we are losing our barbecue heritage because of it...slowly, but it's coming.

I don’t necessarily like comp bbq, but it is what it is. Take one bite of a comp rib and then take one bite of the ribs you like to eat at home and tell me which is better. I don’t cook comp style at home for myself, friends or family. It’s the difference between a sports car and a mini van. They both have different purposes. Erichasaces drives a sweet minivan btw

I don’t necessarily like comp bbq, but it is what it is. Take one bite of a comp rib and then take one bite of the ribs you like to eat at home and tell me which is better. I don’t cook comp style at home for myself, friends or family. It’s the difference between a sports car and a mini van. They both have different purposes. Erichasaces drives a sweet minivan btw

Maybe if you cooked better your friends and family would want your comp stuff? But frankly I'm surprised your family wants to eat your food at home, because from what I hear, you are AT BEST the third best pitmaster in your family.

Comp BBQ is a completely different world than “regular” BBQ. You aren’t cooking for what YOU like but for 24 strangers who are going to take one bite of your product. These 24 strangers all have their own opinion of what is good. Had you finished top ten vs 56/59, you’d probably feel a whole lot differently. Comp BBQ ain’t for everyone and that’s okay. To each his own.

I hear you, but the problem I’m having is I don’t like what those “24 strangers” happen to think is good BBQ. How a lot of that is the benchmark standard for winning trophies and money makes little sense to me. But that is just it...competition BBQ is an entirely different world from traditional BBQ as the guy said. And he is also right that it’s not for everyone...which is why I’ve not pursued it since. BBQ Pitmasters didn’t help.

I wish there was a competition circuit that could pit “regular” pit masters against one another with judges who aren’t looking for that one crazy bite that nobody who knows real BBQ would ever associate it with it. :mrgreen:

I wish there was a competition circuit that could pit “regular” pit masters against one another with judges who aren’t looking for that one crazy bite that nobody who knows real BBQ would ever associate it with it. :mrgreen:

Come down to Texas and cook IBCA. They literally pull judges off the streets. Anyone can judge ibca - young, old, whoever. There are Dozens of guys like you that think their over smoked and under seasoned meat is better than "that comp trash", and they come out and let random judges decide. I keep hearing this crap about "real people" looking "real bbq", but for some reason the trash comp bbq even wins those contests.

There is. Is called 'Backyard" or the rib comp at the local church down the road.

Competition BBQ is focused to best meet the criteria of the sanctioning body. There are literally millions of people that can make your "real BBQ" you describe every weekend in their backyard, but probably only about 50 teams in the US that can consistently hit all the marks to place well in the competition world.

Take a step back. Go take a judging class, or take a cook class. If you have an open mind you will appreciate the effort and skill involved.

I'm sorry, but you are way out of line.:wacko:

Judges score everything on their own merit, if you could cook awesome BBQ you would win. Poor cooks always come up with excuses on why their BBQ isn't judged well.

Everyone has a right to their opinion I definitely see both sides of it but I will say it has gotten much harder for beginners to start up competing right away then it use to be

Comp BBQ is not what you cook in a restaurant, or in your back yard. It is indeed a entirely different animal. Restaurant BBQ is meat that is held for a long time, is generally made with lesser grades of meat, and is made for the masses using little to no smoke and seasoning. Your backyard, restaurant, and comp BBQ all have their own devotees, and if you are not able to present anything aside from your interpretation of "true BBQ" the way you like it, then this game is not for you.

What you are missing is the other aspects of comp BBQ besides the meat. Its the BBQ family you will gain. Its travelling to places you've never been before. Its meeting some dam fine people from all across the country who share your same passion. Its the weekly challenge of yourself to do better than last week. Its attaining your own goals. It is more than just meat. I would rather be out on the road, having crazy adventures, eating Wagyu brisket slices, cooked all night by a brisket master (my partner) fresh off the cutting board, than being in my backyard or at a restaurant eating someone else's interpretation of "true BBQ."

Last edited:
Google “strange competitions” and see what you find........not all events of “skill” are meant to be understood by everyone. And that is ok. You don’t have to get it.

You are right about the comp bbq. I don't like to eat comp bbq. It is the same with competition chili. I don't want to eat comp chili. Same thing happened in Nascar. And I don't want to drive a Nascar car. If you want to be competitive you've got to play the game. And the target is always moving. You have to evolve with it or get left behind. But, I do know that I enjoy the other parts of comp bbq and that is meeting folks and making friends that I wouldn't have if I stayed in my backyard. Other than that, I don't have a solution for you.

I wish you the best,

Robert

"BackYard"

There is. Is called 'Backyard" or the rib comp at the local church down the road.]

The "local church"contest may be right but down here in Alabama the "Backyard" division is teams only cooking ribs,chicken,and butts sometimes.
I cook and am a KCBS judge. Having tasted some of the pro teams food I can proudly say some of the "backyard" teams here in Alabama could do very well in the Pro division. Its just a matter of travel and money. We cook about 12 contests a year with more available within 100 miles. Have cooked "shadetree" at The Jack and met teams from other states where the "backyard" division is not as well developed as it is around here. Here it should actually be called "semi-pro" based on cooking I have seen.

I have 2 thoughts to what the OP said.

First I have a legitimate challenge for you. I bet if YOU picked 24 judges off the street maybe even YOUR friends and family and in a blind contest you cooked against Iowa Smokey D's, Clark Crew BBQ, Shake N BaKe, Getting Basted and Porky Butts....I am willing you would finish 6th even with your own hand picked judges in a blind contest.

Second thought is this, you say it is not real BBQ and not what people like however I vend and cater and just on my ribs alone i cook comp style and that is what the general customer wants and it is not even close. You argue that it is to sweet and not real BBQ but yet the general customer would prefer that, so would i not be a fool to not give them what they want, even if i dont make very much but it brings them in to buy things that I will?

Just another question I thought of, what is your opinion on the actual cookers? Do you have a problem with pellets or cans or does it have to be a stick burner to be what you consider real BBQ? What about the techniques? If it is hot and fast is it wrong? Does it have to be low and slow to be real BBQ?

I understand you have your opinion and you are entitled to it of course, I just felt you were attacking something many of us love just to say you are right and we are all wrong. I already have one person in my life that tells me they are right and their opinions are the best and i am wrong all the time, and i sure am not looking for another WIFE, lol.

Not attacking anyone. At all. And I’m glad so many of you can so passionately defend what you do. That is the beauty of BBQ in that it can be done so many different ways. I’m not arguing that. I have charcoal smokers and a stick burner. I cook low and slow, hot and fast, and everything in between. I’ve used commercial rubs/sauces and my own rubs and sauces. I’ve cooked with foil, butcher paper and nothing. And I’ve smoked all kinds of meats (not just the typical ones). And selling your BBQ is completely different than cooking for judges in a sanctioned competition, so I don’t know why that was brought up. If people want to eat sweet or sugary tasting ribs then that is what you sell to make money. :biggrin1: But I don’t think that is the norm in the world of BBQ from pitmasters who sell.

Like I said, I like everything about competition style BBQ except how the meat is prepared/judged by today’s standards. Of course I’m not familiar with every circuit out there except for the local ones I’ve visited or the one I participated in. It’s all good though as we can agree to disagree on some of this.

Good luck guys with your teams this new year and good conversation!

Back