The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   CL New Braunfels and are WSM's any fun? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110289)

jmellor 07-02-2011 07:53 PM

CL New Braunfels and are WSM's any fun?

Hi All
My first post. Have been reading posts here all week and had to join. Love this forum already.

I have my heartset on an offset for a variety of reasons. We have a local Horizon dealer in Shrewsbury MA. Was looking at 20" Classics but it's too much to swing right now. So I ordered a 22.5" WSM from Amazon but haven't felt great about it. Have been smoking on my gas grill and weber kettle for years with actually decent results. The WSM just seems a bit boring compared to a classic offset. Even if the offset is more work it also seems like more fun.

So, they are a few older NB offsets on Craigslist around me that are in the $200 range.

http://providence.craigslist.org/hsh/2456420695.html

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/for/2470378969.html

http://worcester.craigslist.org/for/2459085912.html

The NBBD seems like a decent find. I am waiting to get some pics.

So, thoughts, comments, etc. Is the WSM any fun? I actually like investing time in BBQ and the thought of set it and leave it seems a bit sanitary. Should I just stick with a quality WSM and stay away from CL smokers....then buy a real keeper offset down the line? Or should I ship back the WSM to Amazon and bring home one of these offsets or something similar? I am sure there will be a UDS comment thrown in here at some point as well.

Sorry for the ramble on my first post. But figured this is the right group to ask!

chad 07-02-2011 08:03 PM

You are feeling the normal "I'm gonna learn it the hard way" feelings. A small stickburner or Bandera is a great learning tool. The WSM is a fantastic cooker. You can focus on the food more instead of the fire. You'll learn a whole new bunch of cuss words with a small "traditional" cooker. :-D

But, you'll have to make your own decision because every one of us came into que by a slightly different path!

Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood.

syndicate559 07-02-2011 09:27 PM

One of each!

bigabyte 07-02-2011 09:28 PM

Based on what you said, start with an offset from CL. You will learn the most important secrets to fire management that way. After that, try a WSM (relatively cheap compared to others). After that, you will know what you want and will not have had to invest much money in cookers to get exactly what you know you want.

Harbormaster 07-02-2011 10:00 PM

I got my start on a Brinkman Cimmaron offset. Produced some great Q with that thing.

But the "fun" of tending a fire for 18 hours wears off after awhile, so I opted for the WSM. 5 of them actually.

As far as I'm concerned it's the best dollar for dollar value available.

purplestarrider 07-02-2011 10:11 PM

I bought my NBBD off CL and I am loving it. Though I am thinking 200 is to much for it. I picked up mine for 60. Thought it may be a regional thing. How ever I would for after looking at it offer less.

Ron_L 07-02-2011 10:21 PM

I guess it depends on your definition of fun :-D I did my share of sticking wood into a firebox. I think being able to set up the WSm and know that it is going to hold temp and allow me to spend time with my family and friends is more fun.

But, an offset is a good way to learn fire management and temperature control. Of the three posted I think the Oklahoma Joe's might be a good bet. If it is in good shape. I think it is going to be made of heavier gauge steel and would hold temp better. But it depends on the condition.

Soybomb 07-03-2011 12:27 AM

I think it depends on what is your idea of fun. To me the idea of fiddling with vents every 30 minutes and feeding fuel is tedious labor. Fun for me is making good bbq and I've found the best way to do that is by bbqing a lot to find out what I like and works out for me. I think I'd have bbq'ed a lot less and not be as good at what I make if every cook were a hugely involved process. I wouldn't/couldn't do it.

gtr 07-03-2011 12:38 AM

I started on an NBBD. Well, actually a ECB electric thingee, but I ain't really counting that. I really enjoyed the NBBD and eventually I moved on to a Klose, which I love. I do enjoy stick burning, but I'm finishing up my UDS (hopefully this weekend) 'cause sometimes I just want to throw some grub on and do other things. I'd like to get a WSM at some point as well - I'm waiting on a good CL score for that.

As for stickburning, there is something about it that is really satisfying to me. I think it's a good idea to be able to cook on anything anywhere.

RevZiLLa 07-03-2011 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syndicate559 (Post 1695271)
One of each!

There's the most likely outcome

Brian in Maine 07-03-2011 06:41 AM

I had a Bandera. I really enjoyed cooking on it. But we went through a period of family problems, and I didn't have the time to dedicate to smoking meat for over a year. I would stick with the WSM, and keep my eye open for a real deal on a stick burner if you really want one. Many of the WSM owners on this forum started with stick burners.

jmellor 07-03-2011 06:53 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like OK Joe is a NB model based on the pic he sent. Not sure how to insert a pic from my iPad yet. I am supposed to get some more pics of it.

For any of the folks that have used the NBBD can you tell me how big it is? Can't seem to find actual specs anywhere. Is it a 16 x30 type set up? Or larger? Some of the 16" smokers I have looked at don't gave much clearance for a rib rack or large bird etc. I keep reading it is heavy but anyone know how heavy? The Horizon 16" classic is 325 lbs. That is my baseline for smaller smoker heavy.

And I agree I will probably end of with one of each. Reminds me of when I got my first guitar and now I have six!

jmellor 07-03-2011 08:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Some pics. The first is the Ok Joe which seems to be in better condition but I haven't seen the inside yet. Its a NB OK Joe based on what the Horizon folks told me. The second two are the NBBD which isn't quite as pristine as advertised but in decent shape. I am sure either of these could be had for less than advertised.

Smiter Q 07-03-2011 08:49 AM

the OK joe has the pot warmer top on the fire box. could be handy for beans, warming wood, etc

purplestarrider 07-03-2011 09:01 AM

as far as the weight of a nbbd i am not sure i as i bought mine used so i didn't get any paperwork with is. as for the messurements it is from the ground to the top of the smoke stack is 50" and 53" across. i know that i can do a small pig/hog in this about 100lb or less. have yet to do it but i know that it is an option. Also just keep in mind that you will have to do modification for this unless they have done them and keep send it with you.