The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Georgia Style BBQ Hash (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153483)

Boshizzle 02-09-2013 07:48 PM

Georgia Style BBQ Hash

Anyone know anything about Georgia style BBQ hash? How does it differ from South Carolina hash?

DWheat 02-09-2013 10:50 PM

Georgia Hash

We serve hash with our BBQ, whole hog cooked over coals made from hickory and oak we burn in a homemade burn barrel. Our family has a family reunion the 4th Sunday in August every year, my father says the family hasn't missed a year since 1927 and that it actually started prior to 1927. He grew up learning to cook the hog and stew from his father and uncles and he's been the in charge for the past 40 years. He uses equal amounts of tomatoes and cream style corn. His process is to grind whole tomatoes and cook them in large cast iron wash pots, when they're pinkish in color he adds the cream style corn. You must stir the pot the entire time, especially after adding the corn to keep from sticking and scorching. He seasons this with salt, pepper and sugar to his liking. We also boil hens in a pot, grind the hens when done and save the broth to thin the stew if it gets too thick. We also boil pork butts and trimmings from the hogs and season it with salt like the chicken and we grind the lean pork once it's done. He determines the amount of chicken and pork needed by the amount of tomatoes and corn he's cooking. When he's cooked the corn and tomatoes and seasoned to his liking he adds the ground chicken and ground pork to the corn and tomatoes and continues stirring and lets it simmer for a while. He'll add additonal salt, pepper and sugar to get the flavor he's satisfied with. The last step is he adds some of the vinegar based barbeque sauce we use for seasoning the chopped pork to the pot of hash. He has several recipes for the amount of tomatoes, corn, chicken and pork to serve the number of plates we're preparing for. Just last October we cooked for a local church homecoming and we used 18 gallons of tomatoes and 18 gallons of corn as a base and added the needed chicken and pork, probably ended up with 40 to 45 gallons when the meat was added to the corn and tomatoes. The church fed over 400 people and had stew to sell afterwards to off set the cost of the meal. I've eaten some carolina hash and it's usually been mostly tomato base with cooked pork added, not sure what else and many in the carolinas serve the hash over white rice. The hash/stew that we make we try to have the consistency thick enough that you eat with a fork and not a spoon and the paddle that you use to stir the pot with will stand straight up in the pot if you let go of the handle then you know you have a hearty ga stew/ hash. As a side I recently bought a used Jambo Junior that I'm learning to smoke with and it is quite a cooker. Did my first brisket today and doing chicken wings in the morning for our family dinner tomorrow, we're having 24 for our Sunday lunch tomorrow but no stew on menu. Never had a smoker, always cooked old school pit style whole hog and the Jambo is totally different style and taste but I think I'm going to enjoy using it to add a different taste to our family reunions. Hope this helps. Donald in Washington Ga.

cameraman 02-09-2013 10:57 PM

Great story well told. Welcome to the BBQ Brethren.

JohnHB 02-09-2013 11:08 PM

Hey if you are talking about smoking hash then we have a different meaning in Aussie. Hash is cannabis here!!!
John

DubfromGA 02-09-2013 11:10 PM

This thread embodies the essence of bbq.

Tradition.

Family.

Serving.

Bludawg 02-09-2013 11:15 PM

That was the best post i have read in quite some time.

buccaneer 02-10-2013 12:03 AM

Jaizus DWheat passed out!

silverfinger 02-10-2013 12:57 AM

Your definitely not talking trash, but hash!!! Thanks for the input and welcome to the brethren!!! Great first post!! Please go to cattle call and introduce yourself!! And I would just like to say its great to have you here from so cal!!!

Boshizzle 02-10-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWheat (Post 2361509)
We serve hash with our BBQ, whole hog cooked over coals made from hickory and oak we burn in a homemade burn barrel. Our family has a family reunion the 4th Sunday in August every year, my father says the family hasn't missed a year since 1927 and that it actually started prior to 1927. He grew up learning to cook the hog and stew from his father and uncles and he's been the in charge for the past 40 years. He uses equal amounts of tomatoes and cream style corn. His process is to grind whole tomatoes and cook them in large cast iron wash pots, when they're pinkish in color he adds the cream style corn. You must stir the pot the entire time, especially after adding the corn to keep from sticking and scorching. He seasons this with salt, pepper and sugar to his liking. We also boil hens in a pot, grind the hens when done and save the broth to thin the stew if it gets too thick. We also boil pork butts and trimmings from the hogs and season it with salt like the chicken and we grind the lean pork once it's done. He determines the amount of chicken and pork needed by the amount of tomatoes and corn he's cooking. When he's cooked the corn and tomatoes and seasoned to his liking he adds the ground chicken and ground pork to the corn and tomatoes and continues stirring and lets it simmer for a while. He'll add additonal salt, pepper and sugar to get the flavor he's satisfied with. The last step is he adds some of the vinegar based barbeque sauce we use for seasoning the chopped pork to the pot of hash. He has several recipes for the amount of tomatoes, corn, chicken and pork to serve the number of plates we're preparing for. Just last October we cooked for a local church homecoming and we used 18 gallons of tomatoes and 18 gallons of corn as a base and added the needed chicken and pork, probably ended up with 40 to 45 gallons when the meat was added to the corn and tomatoes. The church fed over 400 people and had stew to sell afterwards to off set the cost of the meal. I've eaten some carolina hash and it's usually been mostly tomato base with cooked pork added, not sure what else and many in the carolinas serve the hash over white rice. The hash/stew that we make we try to have the consistency thick enough that you eat with a fork and not a spoon and the paddle that you use to stir the pot with will stand straight up in the pot if you let go of the handle then you know you have a hearty ga stew/ hash. As a side I recently bought a used Jambo Junior that I'm learning to smoke with and it is quite a cooker. Did my first brisket today and doing chicken wings in the morning for our family dinner tomorrow, we're having 24 for our Sunday lunch tomorrow but no stew on menu. Never had a smoker, always cooked old school pit style whole hog and the Jambo is totally different style and taste but I think I'm going to enjoy using it to add a different taste to our family reunions. Hope this helps. Donald in Washington Ga.

Thanks, Donald! Congrats on the Jambo too! That's a great post.

In what ways do you think that GA Hash differs from GA Brunswick Stew?

DWheat 02-10-2013 09:22 AM

Hash vs Brunswick Stew

My understanding is that most of the Brunswick stew recipes add butterbeans, potatoes, onion, carrots etc to the tomatoes and corn. Also they may add other meats to the pot. Originally they used venison, squirrel as well as beef and pork. Our recipe is regional to our area. Just twenty miles to our south and east they serve the carolina hash and rice with the bbq. There's an excellent documentary on carolina hash at Folkstreams.net entitled Carolina Hash about 45 minutes with a lot of history about the carolina bbq hash traditions. In our area of NE Ga it's all about family reunions and church homecomings with some political events using BBQ and stew to feed the masses. I'm fortunate that ours is a true family tradition that will be my responsibility when my father is no longer able physically handle, he's 88 years old and we tore down our bbq shed and built a new one, still not complete but he's proud to see my brothers, sister, grandkids and cousins will do our part to keep the family tradition alive and well. Faith, family and BBQ are our family heritage, fortunate to be born in this southern family tradition.

Boshizzle 02-10-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWheat (Post 2361853)
My understanding is that most of the Brunswick stew recipes add butterbeans, potatoes, onion, carrots etc to the tomatoes and corn. Also they may add other meats to the pot. Originally they used venison, squirrel as well as beef and pork. Our recipe is regional to our area. Just twenty miles to our south and east they serve the carolina hash and rice with the bbq. There's an excellent documentary on carolina hash at Folkstreams.net entitled Carolina Hash about 45 minutes with a lot of history about the carolina bbq hash traditions. In our area of NE Ga it's all about family reunions and church homecomings with some political events using BBQ and stew to feed the masses. I'm fortunate that ours is a true family tradition that will be my responsibility when my father is no longer able physically handle, he's 88 years old and we tore down our bbq shed and built a new one, still not complete but he's proud to see my brothers, sister, grandkids and cousins will do our part to keep the family tradition alive and well. Faith, family and BBQ are our family heritage, fortunate to be born in this southern family tradition.

Thanks for the info! I've watched the Hash documentary too. It's pretty good but the producer was pretty sure that BBQ hash was a SC thing only. But, I know that GA has a hash tradition. BBQ hash has been served in TX, GA, and VA as well as SC though it seems to have originated in the SC lowcountry.

I love what you guys are doing! Thanks for sharing.

Wampus 02-10-2013 12:31 PM

I have to say that I've never heard of BBQ hash. Of course I only recently heard of Brunswick Stew as well. Heck this whole BBQ "thing" was pretty foreign to me until only a few years ago too.

Ahhhh.....the sheltered life of growing up in Indiana.......

Thanks for this thread Bo, and thanks for the great post DWheat!

K80Shooter 02-10-2013 01:34 PM

There's been many a debate about what to put in brunswick stew in Ga. Some people will add beans and such and some want no part of it if it has beans. Myself I cant stand beans in my stew, it's just not how I was brought up. As for the meat, chicken, pork and maybe beef just depending on who makes it.

I've ate some mighty fine stew in Ga but dont go thinking the person who made it will give up his recipe, no way aint gonna happen. Why you would have thought that you asked for their first born son or something by the responses you get. Some just down right hateful! Seems like most folks would rather take it to their grave than share it.