The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What is your thermometer of choice? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159590)

SmokinM 04-26-2013 08:30 PM

What is your thermometer of choice?

Looking at getting one of those electronic thermometer so I don't have to worry about eating raw pork or chicken or heat loss when checking foods. What's your probe of choice?

Mark Warren 04-26-2013 08:31 PM

Orange Thermapen

yakdung 04-26-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinM (Post 2461669)
Looking at getting one of those electronic thermometer so I don't have to worry about eating raw pork or chicken or heat loss when checking foods. What's your probe of choice?

http://www.thermoworks.com/

flyingbassman5 04-26-2013 08:56 PM

Its by thermoworks but isn't a thermapen. Its way cheaper than a thermapen and still does a darn good accurate job in about 4 seconds. If you only want to spend around $20 for a GOOD thermometer then get this one. I just ordered a second one last week.

Plus, if you can't wait 4 seconds to get an accurate temp and really really REALLY NEED the instant one for $90, then you are booking yourself to tight my friend.

Andy W. 04-26-2013 09:11 PM

If you want wireless, then the Maverick ET-732 would be my first choice. It works great and when you set the alarms for both pit temp and food temp to where you want it, you're set.

If we're talking 'instant' read, then I agree that the Termapen is tops, but you can find less expensive models that do the job 'almost' as quickly.

Good luck!

Bludawg 04-26-2013 09:16 PM

an ice pic

Dirtbuddy 04-26-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy W. (Post 2461729)
If you want wireless, then the Maverick ET-732 would be my first choice. It works great and when you set the alarms for both pit temp and food temp to where you want it, you're set.

If we're talking 'instant' read, then I agree that the Termapen is tops, but you can find less expensive models that do the job 'almost' as quickly.

Good luck!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...milies/e-1.gif

creekwalker 04-26-2013 10:15 PM

How long could I expect the Thermopen (or for that matter the Thermoworks RT600C) to last under frequent use? That's something i haven't seen adressed in reviews.

caseydog 04-26-2013 10:24 PM

I don't know the brand, but I bought it at Kroger for 12 bucks. It works every bit as well as the Thermapen I paid 100 bucks for.

Time to put my flame suit on.

CD

Happy Hapgood 04-26-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseydog (Post 2461807)
I don't know the brand, but I bought it at Kroger for 12 bucks. It works every bit as well as the Thermapen I paid 100 bucks for.

Time to put my flame suit on.

CD

Waht? Yes, double flame suit. :caked:

My entire BBQ world changed with a Therapen very much for the better.

Of coarse my Dad (RIP) always said "It's the section between the rod handle and boat seat that count."

K-Train 04-26-2013 10:35 PM

Super fast yellow thermapen in a magnetic boot that glows.

flyingbassman5 04-26-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekwalker (Post 2461796)
How long could I expect the Thermopen (or for that matter the Thermoworks RT600C) to last under frequent use? That's something i haven't seen adressed in reviews.

Depends.

If you abuse them (drop them, leave them in the rain, cold, or snow, etc etc) they won't last terribly long.

Take care of them and both will last you a good long while. Most say long enough to make spending the $90 worth it.

TBASS 04-26-2013 11:28 PM

Thermapen. No exceptions.

Pyle's BBQ 04-27-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekwalker (Post 2461796)

I use 2 Thermapens in my restaurant daily. The older one that is about 5 years old still has the original batter, has been "washed" by the staff and generally semi-abused. I would say for someone not in the food service industry it should last a lifetime if you take care of it.

I forgot to add, I found my splash proof Thermapen floating in the dish washing sink the other day. Some how it got knocked into the water. I fished it out, opened the battery door to check for water. No water came out, so I put the batteries back in and kept on using it.

E & D's BBQ 04-27-2013 09:39 AM

I bought my thermopen over 3 years ago and love it. I did recently have an issue with mine giving me wrong temps. I called them about it, they said to send it to them and they would check it for free. They emailed me yesterday and said they fixed it under warranty, calibrated it, and they'll be sending it back. I'm really impressed with their products and service.