Operation "Fatten Mom": Pics and Recipes (Long)

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
My Mom has been dealing with a couple of health issues lately, and that along with an extremely strict diet (she can't eat gluten, tomatoes, yeast, etc) has caused her to lose some weight. I live down near Atlanta, and they live up in Virginia Beach and only have an old gasser for a grill. So Operation "Fatten Mom" was planned and launched.

The plan was to fly up to Virginia on Wednesday evening along with the wifey, who would use this trip as part of her job to visit some territories in Virginia. I would grill 5 different meats that met her diet requirements, then vacuum pack everything and freeze. Operation details:

1) I would buy a Webber One Touch, 4 bags of Royal Oak lump, a chimney and some hickory chunks Wednesday night on the way to her house from the airport.
2) Thursday morning I would drive to Costco and buy all the meats and citrus for marinades.
3) Thursday afternoon I would grill the Tri-Tip and burgers, and prepare the marinades for the next day's cook.
4) Friday morning and afternoon I would grill the pork loin, pork chops and chicken breasts and vacuum pack the previous days cook.
5) Friday evening I would vacuum pack Friday afternoon's cook.
6) Saturday and Sunday would be beach time with the wifey to keep her happy, and then fly back to ATL on Sunday evening.

Well I am back in the ATL and everything went great. The tri-tip was the biggest hit, as nobody in my family has ever had it. It was a LOT of work but I had a blast. Took a few pics with the cell phone, and I'll include the recipes for each meal. Don't have any sliced pics, I was too busy, sorry! My Mom, wifey, and big sister (who also lives in Va. Beach) helped with the marinades and vaccum packing.

Santa Maria Tri-Tip
Santa Maria Rub (3 tsp Kosher salt, 2 tsp each of pepper, garlic powder and dried parsley per tri-tip)
Tri-Tip
EVOO
Smear some EVOO around each tri-tip and apply a good layer of rub. Set grill up for offset cooking with some red oak chunks. Grill to an internal temp of about 120, then pulled meat from the grill while spreading the coals around for direct grilling. Sear to internal of 140 (Mom won't eat pink meat, so had to cook them through). Slice against the grain.
IMG_0312_resized.jpg

Grilled Pork Tenderloin (Alton Brown recipe, for each pound of tenderloin)
1 whole pork tenderloin, approximately 1 pound
1 lime, zest finely grated
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce (I ommited this, Mom doesn't like heat)
Chopped fresh cilantro
Whisk together the lime zest, lime juice, honey, salt and garlic powder. Devide in half, reserving one half and use the other half to marinade the pork loins overnight. Grill the tenderloins until internal of 140 (I went to 145, again because Mom just wont' eat pink meat). Pull the tenderloins from the grill, and either wrap the tenderloins in HD foil along with the reserve marinade, or place in a pan and cover with foil with the reserve marinade. Rest at least 10 minutes then slice. Mix in some chopped cilantro to taste and serve.
IMG_0314_resized.jpg

Grilled Sweet and Tangy Pork Chops (Per 4 chops, recipe from the Neely's, and it's actually very good)
Seasoning Salt: 2 tablespoons kosher salt, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon celery seed, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika.
Glaze: 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup tablespoon real maple syrup, 2 tablespoons ketchup, 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, 1 dash Worcestershire sauce, 1 dash hot pepper sauce, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. The amount of ketchup was so small per chop that we didn't worry about omitting it (Mom is not supposed to eat tomato based food).
Mix the ingredients for the seasoning salt and the glaze. Apply an even coating of the seasoning salt to each chop (not real heavy like a rub, just a nice medium layer). Grill the chops until an internal temp of 145-150, glazing during the last 5 minutes. Hit them with a final layer of glaze and serve.
IMG_0315_resized.jpg

Tuscan Lemon Chicken (Per chicken, based on a Barefoot Contessa recipe).
This recipe calls for a whole chicken cut up. My Mom and Dad both insisted on boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I really hate boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but I did what I could to make this turn out.
It was my least favorite of the bunch, but it still wasn't bad. I would highly recommend using leg/thigh quarters or a whole cut up chicken if you make this, it's actually pretty good.
1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1/3 cup EVOO
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
Kosher salt and pepper
Whisk together the EVOO, zest, juice, garlic and rosemary. Marinade the chicken from 4 hours to overnight (I went with four hours due to the skinless breasts). Turn the chicken in the marinade occasionally. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and grill until breasts are 160 and thighs are 180.
IMG_0318_resized.jpg

Grilled Burgers:
Dont' really need a recipe, I just use ground chuck (20%), kosher salt and pepper and grill until internal of 160. Costco didn't have chuck, they only had 12% so I went with it.
IMG_0313_resized.jpg

After everything was vacuum packed. Final bounty (each vac pack was 2 servings): 20 servings of tri-tip, 16 servings of tenderloin, 10 servings of chops, 12 servings of chicken and 12 servings of burgers.
IMG_0324_resized.jpg

Bonus Pic!
Took this picture of a pic that was hanging on their wall. I'm in the middle. Pic was probably taken about
46 years or so ago. My little sister must not have had her coffee yet!
IMG_0319_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Damn!! Nice spread! I need to gain some weight too, I'll PM you my address.:becky:

Wow. Nice. want to come do that for me. I hope that your mom gets better and know that she loved you doing this for her. Thanks for sharing

All I can say is that you're lucky I wasn't there or you'd have nothing left to freeze!

Cheers!

Bill

All I can say is WOW! You sir are a terrific son! :clap2::thumb:

All the efforts and results are truely amazing. You are an inspiration... :-D

All I can say is WOW! You sir are a terrific son! :clap2::thumb:

All the efforts and results are truely amazing. You are an inspiration... :-D

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only know of one other person like yourself and I'm sad to say it's not me.

There are a lot of mom's that would love to have a son just like YOU:thumb:

Outstanding Mark, I know you can cook, and all that meat look great. There is nothing quite like cooking to take care of your loved ones.

Thanks for all the kind replies. I really enjoyed spending two days grilling, it was for a good cause but I also really had a lot of fun. And my Mom should actually should be thanking the Brethren community also. When I first joined here I didn't even know what a tri-tip was, and you don't even want to know how I "BBQ'd" ribs (lets just say it involved water and leave it at that).
Everything I know about grilling and smoking I learned here. This community is the best!

Back