The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   deep fried turkey???? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108951)

wildfire00 06-17-2011 08:33 AM

deep fried turkey????

hello all, I was wanting to try my first deep fried turkey in the next couple of weeks. Can any of you help a guy out with some tips? I am pretty sure of what I am doing, but some added info will help anything with flavouring or whatever you got.

Thanks, wildfire.

Wampus 06-17-2011 08:50 AM

I've only done this once or twice. The one we did that we liked the best had a bunch of fresh herbs rubbed under the skin. Frying it really sealed in all that flavor. I think we injected it with some herb butter as well.

BIGGEST TIP: Be careful. Deep fried turkey has increased the number of Darwin Awards greatly over the years. Make sure you don't have too much grease in the pot. Well before loading and heating, put the bird in, just cover with water then remove the bird. Note or mark the top of the water at THAT level and put only that amount of oil in. Spilling hot oil all over the propane flame is dangerous!

Good luck!

Terry Knife 06-17-2011 09:01 AM

In addition to some flavorin's under the skin, injecting the bird is a nice addition. Butter+Beer+creativity is a good place to start. Cook it for around 3.5 minutes/pound. Oil temps need to be closely monitored after you drop the bird.

But for sure, safety is key. Pat the bird dry to an obsessive amount, and let it sit at room temperature for as long as (safely) possible. Wear good gloves and lower it very slowly into the oil.

JD08 06-17-2011 09:10 AM

Simplest safety tip of all:

Extinguish the fire while you put in the bird and relight once it's in.

That way if there is an overflow, there isn't a resulting huge fire.

Johnny_Crunch 06-17-2011 09:18 AM

Inject it, there are some great injections available here in our local grocery stores you might be able to find one up there. If you can't buy one though garlic and butter are always winners.

Paulie 06-17-2011 09:32 AM

The two tips already posted about determining the oil level and turning off the fire when putting the bird in are key.

I've done 5-6 deep fried turkeys with my brothers, and have always had great success. Don't get too big of a bird too; we stick to the 12-14lb range for our fryer.

Another thing we do is mix up some stuffing that would normally go in the turkey if roasting it; but add a couple eggs to the mix to hold it together, form in to balls and deep fry as well.

Stoke&Smoke 06-17-2011 10:45 AM

Be sure that the bird is 100% thawed, and dried as well as possible! Also, be careful not to buy too big of a bird. Make sure there is space enough in the pot to allow space between the outside of the bird, and the inside of pot. Otherwise you'll get a really impressive oil fountain! (don't ask me how I know)

And follow the other safety tips already given. I've only done it a couple of times because while it's fast, and if well done tastes amazing, cleanup is kind of a mess.

Shooter1 06-17-2011 11:19 AM

As the others have said and you can't stress enough be careful. Make sure you have a good fire extinguisher on hand and ready to use. Once you have a fire, not a good time to be running around looking for one.

-Fill pot with water and lower frozen turkey in so you can mark proper level to fill with oil.

-Make sure turkey is completely thawed and dried, real important.

-Turning off the flame before lowering turkey in is a great tip.

-Lower it in slowly and wear good gloves if you have them.

-12-14 lb. turkey is best size for this.

-Make sure you haven't had to many adult beverages till after its done. :mrgreen:

-Good luck!

Rubmybutt 06-17-2011 11:33 AM

I've been doing turkeys for about 20 years and never had a fire dept. fire that makes the news, a little over the edge but not the fire they show on tv, that's still no excuse for NOT being careful.

I use between a 10 and 12 lbs bird, thaw and inject with Cajun Injectors, anything they have is great but garlic butter is a hit always the I cover with Cajun shake and put in a small garbage bag (clean:becky:) and in the fridge they go, from 12 hours to a week. I may do 6 birds at a time.

Fire up the oil, bring up to 350 and slowly insert bird. I built a pully system like Alton Brown has, works slick and you may want to watch his show for cooking turkeys, it's great.

When the bird hit's the oil watch your temp, it will drop so add more heat right away, as the bird cooks you will continually lower your cooking fire but try to stay at 325-350. I go three minutes a pound + or -, kinda like Julia Child, I'm a what the hell kinda cook!

When you pull the bird out it's hot, just like broasted chicken so let it cool, 30 minutes is good but someone always has there hands on the skin before that. To finish I take three birds and place them in a large stainless steel pan and add a quart of chicken stock, cover and into the oven for 4 to 6 hours at 225. This cooks the meat right down to the bone and all those yum yums end up in the pan. Take the stock out of the pan and place in a skillet, bring to a boil, mix up your corn starch COLD water mix and start adding it to the broth. It makes some of the best gravy you may ever have.

This is what has worked for me for years, hope you give it a try and enjoy!:thumb:

Mark

Callahan-que 06-17-2011 11:55 AM

The only thing I'd like to add to what's already been said is use pure peanut oil. It's quite expensive but worth it.

Do not I repeat do not leave that fryer unattended at all Period.

1FUNVET 06-17-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J'ville Grill (Post 1677129)
The only thing I'd like to add to what's already been said is use pure peanut oil. It's quite expensive but worth it.

Do not I repeat do not leave that fryer unattended at all Period.

The peanut oil can be filtered thru a coffee filter and reused as long as you keep it cool.

PCFisher66 06-17-2011 12:15 PM

I always like to brine mine, Alton Brown has some good basic brine recipes, I like to add Cherry Juicy Juice to my brine. Of course this adds a funky pink tint to the skin. If you put the turkey in the pot first then add water to cover it, thentake the bird out you will find the amount of oil to add in the pot. Ditto on making sure the bird is dry and lower slowly in the oil.

Will work for bbq 06-17-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wampus (Post 1676956)
BIGGEST TIP: Be careful. Deep fried turkey has increased the number of Darwin Awards greatly over the years. Make sure you don't have too much grease in the pot. Well before loading and heating, put the bird in, just cover with water then remove the bird. Note or mark the top of the water at THAT level and put only that amount of oil in. Spilling hot oil all over the propane flame is dangerous!
Good luck!

X2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Knife (Post 1676968)
Wear good gloves and lower it very slowly into the oil.

X2
Quote:

Originally Posted by JD08 (Post 1676977)
Simplest safety tip of all:
Extinguish the fire while you put in the bird and relight once it's in.
That way if there is an overflow, there isn't a resulting huge fire.

I've never had a problem with starting a fire by lowering the bird in very slow and even backing it up if the oil starts to roll but this tip is brilliant, turn off the fire how simple is that, I'm gonna start doing that as well:thumb:

AUradar 06-17-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shooter1 (Post 1677093)
-Fill pot with water and lower frozen turkey in so you can mark proper level to fill with oil.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS DOESN"T ALWAYS WORK!!!!!!

the first fried turkey I made I did this water level trick. However, oil expands as it gets hot. So when doing this, note how close to the top of the pot the water line is when you have the turkey submerge. If its close to the top, then if you use that much oil, it will expand when heated and overflow. This is what happened to me. Small pot and large bird.

If you haven't gotten a fryer already, consider the Big Easy oil-less fryier. I have one and it works great. The unit costs more than a basic fryer, but you save a good bit on not needing to buy the oil.

Rubmybutt 06-17-2011 01:12 PM

Peanut oil is a must, all I've ever used also when I get the bird in the oil I cover the pot with a grease catcher. That round stainless steel mesh thingamabob that you use on the stove to keep splater down. A must!:thumb: