• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

lobster rolls, care to share your recipe?

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
i thought i'd find a lobster roll thread on here, but didn't. i bought a nice lobster tail and some beautiful shrimp and i'm making seafood rolls this weekend.

i've made them before and they were delicious, but i pretty much just "winged it" and to be honest, i don't really even remember what i used.

do you have a recipe you'd care to share?

thanks in advance.

my last one....

6edbb4f1.jpg

Grade: Needs Improvement

I like to add some finely chopped celery to this one and sometimes leave the tomato out.

Sandwich, Lobster Rolls
INGREDIENTS:
3 large garlic cloves, lightly crushed
6 Tbs salted butter
4 Maine lobster tails, each about 6 ounces
Kosher salt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup 1/4-inch-diced plum tomato
2 Tbs minced scallion (white and light green parts only)
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
Hot sauce
2 tsp chopped fresh chervil
4 hot dog buns, sliced vertically from the top
1- 1/3 cups shredded hearts of romaine

PROCEDURE:
1 In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the garlic and butter until the butter melts. Set aside about 2 tablespoons for brushing on the buns.
2 Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
3 Carefully cut the lobster tails in half lengthwise. Season the meat with a little salt and brush some of the garlic butter over the surface of each one. Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the tails, meat side down, over direct medium heat, with the lid open, until the meat is opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the tails over, brush with more garlic butter, and continue to grill until the meat is slightly firm, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4 In a large bowl combine the mayonnaise, tomato, scallion, and lemon juice. Season with salt and hot sauce. Remove the lobster meat from the shells and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Add the lobster meat to the mayonnaise mixture. For best flavor, chill at least 1 hour. Mix in the chervil just before serving.
5 Using a serrated knife, trim some of the crust from the sides of the buns. Brush the remaining garlic butter on the cut sides (outside only) of the buns and toast over direct medium heat until golden brown on both sides, about 1 minute, turning once.
6 Place 1/3 cup romaine on the bottom of each roll and then top with the lobster mixture. Servings: 4
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 7 minutes
Recipe Type Main Dish, Seafood Recipe Source
Source: Weber's, Way To Grill, Jamie Purviance, 2010/12/31

I did a post on grilled lobster rolls a while back:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61426

Honestly, they don't pick up much from the grill, so I tend to just steam or boil the tails most of the time.
As you'll see from the post, a good lobster roll is pretty simple. I use mayo, celery, salt/pepper and a little lemon juice and thats about it. Add just enough to coat the lobster, then serve it on a toasted hot dog bun.

This is a great thread for me.
I have to admit, we watch in horror the tv shows where they show all the different ways to make lobster sandwiches and rolls in the USA. Since lobster is a delicious delicate taste, there is just no way you can taste it under all the melted butter, cheese, mayo, aromatics, and to us it looks like a dog with a bad diet has soiled the bread roll!
So, to see these Maine comments is such a relief.:clap2:
I would use salted white vinegar and white pepper, or melt a dash of butter in virgin olive oil and squeeze lemon juice with a dash of the zest over medium low heat and brush the steamed lobster flesh.
So happy to see these K.I.S.S comments, we thought you were all nuts!:wink:

thinking back now, and looking at the picture, that was lobster, shrimp, homemade mayo, green onions and i remember that lemon juice was in there. salt and pepper i'm sure.

i'm going to KISS for sure. if i can just get the mayo right. i've only made it successfully once and it was glorious. the other two times i've tried, i ended up with a tosser and one that ended up more like an aioli.

thanks for all the replies.

I did a post on grilled lobster rolls a while back:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61426

Honestly, they don't pick up much from the grill, so I tend to just steam or boil the tails most of the time.
As you'll see from the post, a good lobster roll is pretty simple. I use mayo, celery, salt/pepper and a little lemon juice and thats about it. Add just enough to coat the lobster, then serve it on a toasted hot dog bun.

CRAZY! i even did a titles only search for lobster rolls.

and now it's pulling it up. weird. must have something to do with the current site problems.

Simple, really: Big chunks of lobster, light coating of mayo, 1/2 a lemon, and a stalk or two of finely chopped celery. Buttered and toasted roll. Top with a squirt of lemon juice or some scallion. EXCELLENT

I've been told by a lobster boat captain that there's only one way with one variation to make a lobster roll. Take the mat of one steamed 1 lb lobster and cut it into chunks, then put it in a New England hot dog bun, with a touch of s&p. The only variation was to use just enough mayo to coat the meat. The roll should be toasted. According to several I've heard from, that's a "real" lobster roll, and it's tough to not love it.

4651720664_05f7bb97b0_b.jpg

SWMBO and I are pretty rabid scuba divers and are lucky enough to live here in Massacchusetts where it's legal to hunt for bugs while diving. Sometimes we do pretty well, this was the haul of a Memorial Day dive three years ago. They are loosely grouped according to size before we split up the catch between all the divers, two pounders upper left, two to four pounders on the towel next to the ice and the really big boys at the bottom

1243719484.jpg

My wife has bigger balls than anyone I know, she reached under a rock 75 feet underwater and pulled out this monster male. He didn't have those rubber bands on his claws until she got him back to the boat and he was decidedly unhappy with her messing with him and tried his best to show her just how pissed off with her he was. Fortunatley for all of her bones she was faster than he was ...
1243719418.jpg

When we get an enormous catch like that we call all our friends and have a feast. A 15 gallon beer keg filled to the top with bugs means lots of leftovers...
1243731360.jpg

Here is Alice's recipe for leftover lobster.

Alice's Lobster Sliders

1 pound of shucked lobster meat, large chunks if possible.
2-3 ounces large sea scallops (the large ones work better than bay scallops.)
an egg white
She uses a bit of salt and pepper, I use some Old bay seasoning.

This is just the basic formula, adjust up or down (hopefully up) depending on how much lobster you have

Pulse the scallops in a food processor until its a paste, add the egg white and pulse just till incorporated. Turn it all out onto the lobster meat and mix with the seasoning (using your fingers or a spoon, NOT the food processor) until well mixed.

Pan fry in butter, turning just once. Slider size is perfect for these. I like to grill the rolls with a little butter and I add some Old Bay to some mayo and put that on top. She doesn't. My ass is three times the size of hers. Go figure. This is in NO WAY a low calorie meal but ...

The scallop and egg proteins hold the lobster together, it's a fantastic twist on an old fashioned lobster roll, which I agree should be nothing but lobster and mayo on a hot dog roll.

You can use that frozen, canned lobster meat for these. In my opinion it's just about the only thing that stuff is good for but then again I live 5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean. If I lived 500 miles away I'd make do with canned.

Enjoy.

PTN

I really do not know what to say to that post!!!! I seen some big spiny lobster here and there, but the bigger cold water lobster still get my attention.

Back