The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   All day smoke (pics) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152136)

OrleansAg 01-22-2013 05:48 PM

All day smoke (pics)

7 Attachment(s)
OK, so over the weekend I had the smoker running all day and did a brisket, ribs, and salmon. I have some pics below and would appreciate it any advice. This was the first brisket I did, so I kept the temp around 250 in my BWS Chubby. I used two larger pieces of hickory (pic 1 for placement before I covered with briquets).

Attachment 74810

When I tested the temp at 4 hours it was around 175 depending on the place. So I took it out and wrapped it in foil. Seemed like it was cooking a little fast. It was 7.5 pounds. USDA Choice from Costco.

Attachment 74811

I pulled it at about 7 hours when the temp hit 200 and I let it rest for 30min still wrapped.

Attachment 74812

Attachment 74813

It was OK. I'd say it was smoky and tender in places, but overall not as moist and tender as a good one should be. I used briquets and the water pan always had water. I added some briquets during the smoke, unlit on top. Others have said this is fine, but the briquets smoke a bit when they light up, does that affect the meat?

I also started the ribs in the smoker and I did a 3-2-1. Cut the ribs in half to fit in the chubby. I also kept it at 250 degrees. I used apple wood...the hickory was done from earlier.

Attachment 74814

Attachment 74815

Again, these were tender. Seems like 6 hours was a lot and I'd appreciate any recipes you'd recommend. I just did basic salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. When I wrapped I added apple cider. And then for the last hour I just brushed on honey mixed with apple vinegar and some pepper.

Was a fun day having the smoker running all day. Also curious about when folks put on more briquets during the smoke. Seems like you don't want to add them too often or soon, but you want enough of the first batches' remnants to ignite them.

Oh and here's a shot of the salmon. I followed someone's "Easter Smoked Salmon" recipe on this board. Soaked in rum, then a 4 hour salt cure. Very good.

Attachment 74816

JohnHB 01-22-2013 06:16 PM

The brisket looks a little over cooked. I'd aim for maybe 15 degrees less next time but overall the three products look like a fantastic job.
John

WineMaster 01-22-2013 06:21 PM

I would try to slice against the grain. Gives a better texture.

Militant83 01-22-2013 06:30 PM

Looks good as said above brisky a tad over done but over all a good job

Pitmaster T 01-22-2013 06:39 PM

How anyone can tell a if a brisket is overdone based on pictures of a brisket incorrectly sliced is blowing smoke up your ass.

Unless its me.

I think you may have nailed it. Keep up the good work.

In addition. NEVER take doneness advice from anyone who dictates doneness by Internal temp. Especially considering the infamous margin of error on ANY brisket.

If you MUST use temp as a factor (or guide to when to poke) dial back or forward 5 degrees at a time. Of course, this is not a good idea because there are choice briskets done at 178 and choice briskets done at 205 with identical "feels" and baby, that's a HUGE margin of error.

One way to find the right feel is the Night Train Brisket.

OrleansAg 01-22-2013 07:05 PM

Thanks guys.

One other question. I haven't put the meat I'm smoking in a pan, I just let the drippings hit the water pan. I try to keep the pan from going dry, but do you guys recommend using a pan instead?

grantw 01-22-2013 07:24 PM

Putting it in a pan just saves a mess on the grills if i can fit a pan and not block air flow, i do. I dont like my grills all yucky