The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   120 Gallon Tank Build (lots of pics) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122228)

speers90 12-15-2011 12:44 PM

120 Gallon Tank Build (lots of pics)

5 Attachment(s)
Ok, here we go with another 120 gallon tank build. This one is a little different in that the tank is a 120 gallon vertical tank instead of a horizontal.

Got started by marking out where the firebox will connect to the cooking chamber. Then filled the tank with water before making any cuts. Once the tank was full of water I cut the top collar off. After that was out of the way, I cut out the firebox opening.

Then it was time to empty the tank and cut the bottom collar off. Next, I wrestled the big sucker into place and got it leveled and marked where the cooking chamber door will be. The door will be cutout along the inside edge of the blue painters tape. The bottom edge of the door will be 1" above the centerline of the tank.

From the opening for the firebox I was able to get some accurate measurements for the size of firebox I need to build. It will be 20" tall X 22" wide X 20 deep.

Tonight I will write out a materials list that I will need and hopefully get that order placed tonight so I can pick up those materials first thing next week.

Won't be able to work on it again until Saturday, but hope to get the door hinged and cutout that way I can do a burnout.

Phrasty 12-15-2011 12:57 PM

Good start there! I'll be following.

Cheers!

bluetang 12-15-2011 01:21 PM

Very cool! I'll be lurking for you:-D

NorthwestBBQ 12-15-2011 01:22 PM

So far, so good!

dealm9 12-15-2011 01:39 PM

look forward to seeing the progress. have you made one of these before?

speers90 12-15-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealm9 (Post 1881536)
look forward to seeing the progress. have you made one of these before?

I have made a 36" reverse flow, but it didn't turn out as nice as I wanted, and it seems a little small. The shelves on this one will be nearly the same width but will be about 10" deeper.

I was originally looking for a 120 gallon horizontal tank, and just about let this tank go until a couple of our brothers convinced me that this one would do just as well.

Full Draw BBQ 12-15-2011 01:56 PM

I love these builds!!!!!! Thanks for sharing and posting pics! What did you use to cut off the collar and the inlet for the firebox?

dealm9 12-15-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speers90 (Post 1881548)
I have made a 36" reverse flow, but it didn't turn out as nice as I wanted, and it seems a little small. The shelves on this one will be nearly the same width but will be about 10" deeper.

I was originally looking for a 120 gallon horizontal tank, and just about let this tank go until a couple of our brothers convinced me that this one would do just as well.

awesome. i love the determination. i was just curious because in the near future i would either like to build one of these or buy a lang, and am curious as to how the cost of making one of these stacks up to buy the equivalent commercial one. how much did the last build end up running you and do you have any estimates on what this one will cost when she is all said and done. look forward to watching this thing come together:thumb:

speers90 12-15-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Draw BBQ (Post 1881563)
I love these builds!!!!!! Thanks for sharing and posting pics! What did you use to cut off the collar and the inlet for the firebox?

I used an angle grinder on the collar, and then I started to use an air cut off tool for the firebox section, but I would have been there all day with that pathetic thing. So what I did was cut a few holes on my line and let the water drain to that point, then I finished the cutout with my angle grinder. The point being, that I was trying to avoid using an electric tool with water flying all over the place. Another solution would have been to siphon water out of the tank until there just enough head room to make the cuts.

I hope to have a plasma cutter some day, but you just work with what you have available.

speers90 12-15-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealm9 (Post 1881569)
awesome. i love the determination. i was just curious because in the near future i would either like to build one of these or buy a lang, and am curious as to how the cost of making one of these stacks up to buy the equivalent commercial one. how much did the last build end up running you and do you have any estimates on what this one will cost when she is all said and done. look forward to watching this thing come together:thumb:

I don't have accurate numbers on the 36" that I built because I designed and built it one way. Tried it and wasn't happy with it, then converted it to a reverse flow.

I expect this one to cost about $600 - $700. I will keep track of it and post it when it all completed. So far the tank cost me $80 and I spent $25 for a bunch of cutoff wheels for the angle grinder. I have an almost full box of welding rods, so that is another $20 or so.

I plan to do all of the work, except I think I will take it somewhere to have it sandblasted.

Bluehawg 12-15-2011 03:45 PM

Excellent start friend! Eager to follow this build. Keep the pics coming for sure.

speers90 12-15-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluehawg (Post 1881677)
Excellent start friend! Eager to follow this build. Keep the pics coming for sure.

Will do blue! Thanks to you and Phrasty for convincing me that this tank will work.

dealm9 12-15-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speers90 (Post 1881665)
I don't have accurate numbers on the 36" that I built because I designed and built it one way. Tried it and wasn't happy with it, then converted it to a reverse flow.

I expect this one to cost about $600 - $700. I will keep track of it and post it when it all completed. So far the tank cost me $80 and I spent $25 for a bunch of cutoff wheels for the angle grinder. I have an almost full box of welding rods, so that is another $20 or so.

I plan to do all of the work, except I think I will take it somewhere to have it sandblasted.

awesome, that is a very good price for a smoker of what you are planning. all the info on this build is much appreciated. keep up the good work:thumb:

speers90 12-15-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealm9 (Post 1881716)
awesome, that is a very good price for a smoker of what you are planning. all the info on this build is much appreciated. keep up the good work:thumb:

That is one of the advantages of going with a tank, the cost of new steel pipe is steep. I used new steel pipe for the 20" D X 36" L that I already finished, the pipe plus the steel to enclose the two ends was around $300. So with this tank I am at the same point and only got $80 into it.

el_matt 12-15-2011 04:34 PM

I'm a little confused (not hard to do that to me). Are you making this a vertical smoker, like a Bandera, or a horizontal smoker? I'm hoping it'll be like a Bandera, cause I have a tank that I need to get working on, and that's my plan.

Matt