Thoughts on smoked bologna

U

ulikadawgs

I'm going to smoke some butts this weekend and I wanted to try smoked bologna. I have had this once before and it was pretty good. Has anyone ever done this? How long does it need to smoke at 225 degrees?

I did this once a few years ago, by criss-crossing the casing with knife cuts to let the smoke in. I want to say I smoked it for about two hours, but I've slept since then. It came out great, and I made a bologna salad spread out of it.

Been wanting to try this myself but knock a plug out of the middle add some BBQ sauce replug and smoke. What do you'all think ?

I like bologna but I have no idea of where to get a whole one. What does the smoked taste like

Bigmista said:
I like bologna but I have no idea of where to get a whole one. What does the smoked taste like

They taste remarkably like...smoked bologna! :rolleyes:

It is OK when you are cooking something else. Kind of like fatties. I fills up the empty space with something that tastes good. It is also flexable when you smoke it because it is already cooked. If you buy a small 2.5 inch loaf you might try cutting and tasting every 30 minutes or so till you get it the way you want it. Then take its temp and the next time you fix it you will know just how to do it for your particular taste. I usually get my bologna in about a 6 to 9 inch section of a loaf. I have also smoked ring Bologna and it turned out good. I skin mine and even add a little rub and mustard to the outside. It is great left over and ground up into a meat salad (my favorite). You can also cut streak thick slices and serve it with veggies or over a salad. I have also cut it into cubes and served it with cubed cheese and veggies along with your favorite dip. Like with most bologna you need to remember that a little bit goes a long way. It is easy to over eat bologna, and when you add baked beans you could wind up inflated like a balloon and not fit to be around for the next few days.

any deli will gove you a whole chunk. Just ask them to hack off a 2 lb hunk.

My kid loves it, to me it tastes like bologna. I criss cross with some cuts in it and cook for about 2-3 hours. Doesnt absorb much smoke, but its a novelty.

I tried it awhile back because I'd had it at a BBQ restaurant/bar I used to hang out at years ago... it rocked then, probabvly, as I've discovered, because I was chit faced drunk! When I tried it at home, I couldn't stomach more than a couple of pieces before I decided to let the farkin' dogs have the rest. They chit their insides out for three days! Learned bologna is best left in the store for someone else to buy!

That's my thoughts on smoked (or ANY) bologna!

When I want to smoke bologna, I usually get the 5# chunks from Sam's. It's the Bryan brand and still has the red casing on it. I've done it several ways.

The easiest.....

Cut off the red casing and slice it up into 1" x 1" cubes. Put the cubes into a half pan and mix together 1 cup of BBQ sauce and 1 cup water and pour over the bologna. Dust it with a light coating of rub and smoke it at 225 for about an hour. You can smoke it longer than that but be sure to cover it with foil so it doesn't dry out.

The more difficult.....

Cut the red casing off. Take an empty veggie can with the top cut out and poke a small hole in the bottom. Use the can as a kinda cookie cutter to core out the middle of the chunk. Don't go all the way through!!!! When you've cut into it far enough, put your finger over the hole in the bottom of the can and pull the can back out. It should pull a good part of the middle out but you may have to dig the rest out. Then if you have a baster, take the bulb off and use the tube part to go around the sides of the chunk cutting little "tunnels" from the side to the middle in a wagon wheel fashion. Make sure to save about 1/2" off each one to use as a plug. Once you've gone around the outside and then plugged all the holes, rub the outside of the chunk with your favorite rub and pour your favorite sauce in the middle. The best one I ever did, I used a jar of spaghetti sauce that already have basil and oregano in it. You don't have to cap the top of the hole. Smoke at 225 for an hour to an hour and a half. Cut into cubes and toss with sauce before serving.

Costco here sells whole bologna, but alas I have absouletly no desire to try to smoke one. Way too much bologna as a kid in the scouts.

BrooklynQ said:
Way too much bologna as a kid in the scouts.

That's it right there! I rarely had bologna as a kid, so I love it now. BBQ bologna is a staple at almost every BBQ joint around here, too. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck smoking it myself, like many it seems.

What???

ggeilman said:
Which reminds me, anyone know of any good recipes for summer sausage?

And you wait till Fall to ask this question?

Go Figure.....

i've cut 1in slices from a loaf and grilled then covered with bbq sauce served on white toast. Pretty good but nothing like having a fried bologna sandwich

RBSNWNGS said:
i've cut 1in slices from a loaf and grilled then covered with bbq sauce served on white toast. Pretty good but nothing like having a fried bologna sandwich

I'd rather eat Spam than bologna! :shock:

Back