Any tips for using an UDS in the snow?

D

dygaar

I always wanted to get a smoker and try it out. I just built an UDS and was planning firing it up this weekend for it's initial run. I am planning on pork butt and chicken halves. Now the weather looks like snow. Snow isn't going to slow down my plans but, are there any tips for cooking in it? I'm planning on needing more charcoal than I would if it was 80 to keep the temperature up but, are there any tricks/tips I should be aware of? Thanks

I assure you that the snow will not affect your cook in any way. The UDS is magical.

I figured the only difference would be the cold not the snow. The cold will use more coals but, the snow will make the UDS look better...

I was thinking of giving up the beer for this one and moving over to some Makers Mark. It may keep me warmer.

I was thinking of giving up the beer for this one and moving over to some Makers Mark. It may keep me warmer.

I like where your heads at! I always have a bottle of Makers on the shelf. In fact I have 2 right now. :thumb:

Still need the gloves though. MM on Da Rocks Mmmmmmmmmm :thumb::thumb:

I like how you think too... if you weren't from Pittsburgh, that is.

Signed,
A Washington Capital's season ticket holder :becky:

The UDS is great and handles snow better than me. The UdS fuel consumption almost doubles when the outside temps fall below zero- actually, so does mine!!. A UDS does lose a lot of heat thru the lid and If you can find a way to insulate at least the lid you will see benefits. I have brought my UDS up to a steady temp and then I watched the temp climb when I covered the lid. I have a Home Depot silver insulatation wrap that I put around and on my UDS and it really helps.

Move to Louisiana and ya don't have that problem :laugh::laugh:

I live in -30 temps all winter, I don't even attempt it. Get a water heater insulation kit, it should be fine.

We smoke all winter. Cold and snow is not to bad but wind will be your enemy.

pussies!

100_1351.jpg

100_1353.jpg

100_1354.jpg

Strange about the double fuel consumption, that has never happen to me. I find the mini UDS prefers to run in the cold weather while the regular UDS isn't bothered either way. Couldn't tell you if it used ore fuel because there is always some left over.

I've cooked in snow, sleet, freezing rain, -5°F temps with -25°F wind chills and while it may take a little longer when it is that cold out, I really didn't notice too much difference...other than the wind causing temperture fluctations...Yeah, you may use a little more fuel, but not to where it is noticable. I've never had to reload a fuel basket either...
As stated above...it's magical :thumb:

I love firing up the drum in the winter. It might take a couple extra minutes to get up to temp but other than that they are solid.

You don't need a blanky on a drum! :)

First of all, youve got the drink of choice wired so thats a huge step in the right direction.

It doesnt get all that cold where I live, but I have taken my drum with me and experienced a big difference in cold weather.

I found that start up was much easier and quicker if I mixed kingsford with lump coal, and filled my chimney with lump Lazzarri (Mesquite Lump) let it get all the way hot (15 minutes?) dumped that in the fire basket and my temp went right up and was ready to cook.

With just the Kingsford, I was stoking for an hour or so, big difference for me.

P.S. get some of that M.M. into your food, yum.

Sounds good. I'll get up early and get it fired up. I was looking for a MM recipe for sauce. I know I had one, I just need to find it.

Back