The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need some help !!!!! Fire almost died! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150293)

dupemaster 12-27-2012 08:13 AM

Need some help !!!!! Fire almost died!

Ok guys I committed sins! Cooking a 14.5 lb brisket that i put on at 8:30 last night. Went to sleep and thought I had set a alarm for every couple hours but looks like I forgot one.

I've got a brisket in a the smoker temp went down to 160 while the brisket was also at 160. Got the fire stoked back up, but is there any thing else I can do? I'm supposed to bring this to our work potluck in 5 hours.

aawa 12-27-2012 08:16 AM

Wrap in foil to help it get through the stall. You can also throw it in the oven and finish it in there so you don't have to worry about temps going down.

The_Kapn 12-27-2012 08:20 AM

With the time remaining, you are gonna be rushed no matter what you do.

It should have plenty of smoke flavor by now, so I would foil it with some Jus or beef broth and into the oven at 325 or more.
Monitor temps, probe for doneness, and try to get some time in a cooler or warm oven.

Good Luck!

TIM

Arlin_MacRae 12-27-2012 08:23 AM

^^^^^This! And good luck!

dupemaster 12-27-2012 08:35 AM

Thanks guys. I got it foiled and added some beef broth. Smoker temp is at 300 now and I'll sit and watch to make sure it stays there.

Bludawg 12-27-2012 09:46 AM

Quit being lazy and relying on techno junk and actually tend you pit. Hey you asked. There is but one excuse for letting the fire go out and that would be a to much giggle water induced coma. Man up!

JS-TX 12-27-2012 10:01 AM

Hey BD, you haven't had your coffee yet?! :-P

Bludawg 12-27-2012 11:00 AM

Yes I have, quadruple espresso with 6 sugars. Think I need to switch to de caf???:twitch:

Arlin_MacRae 12-27-2012 01:14 PM

Maybe you could benefit from a little "giggle water". We sure could. :laugh:

dupemaster 12-27-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2308163)
Quit being lazy and relying on techno junk and actually tend you pit. Hey you asked. There is but one excuse for letting the fire go out and that would be a to much giggle water induced coma. Man up!

Lazy because I fell asleep at 2am and didn't wake up because I either didn't set or slept through my super techno junk alarm clock, lazy because I have a thermometer on my pit, or lazy because I checked my brisket at 5am with a thermometer?

Anywho, back to the brisket ! I pulled it off at 8:45 this morning so I could get to work on time. I wasnt happy with how it felt. The point probed tender, but the flat was still a little on the tough side. It was close, maybe only needed another 30 min or so, but I didn't have time.
I wrapped in another layer of foil and then a towel, put it in the cooler and went off to work.

It sat in the cooler for about 2 1/2 hours before lunch time.

The outcome was a good, but not excelent brisket. It was soft and juicy, but the flat was a touch tough. Point was jiggly, but the flat just seemed a little tight.

It was gone in less than a half hour amid a honey baked ham and a smoked turkey form a local bbq jount whitch were hardlt touched by the end of the day.

I was a little upset due to being called away ( whodda thunk you might have to work at work? ) for a bit right after plating my lunch. I only got two slices. It was gone by the time I got back at it.

Every one said it was amazing, but I just wish I could have given them a truly amazing brisket.

Cloudsmoker 12-27-2012 10:57 PM

There are only two types of cooks: those who have been there too and those that are lying about it. Part of cooking, at least for me, is learning to master Plan B. Hang in there, dude.

Arlin_MacRae 12-28-2012 08:38 AM

You know, if it was gone in under thirty minutes I wouldn't beat myself up TOO much if I were you. We are, alas, our own worst critics. My wife has to tell me to shut the hell up because the meat was great. A lot.
"If only XXX was a little better". HEHE

Congrats on overcoming a difficulty that might have swamped others!

Arlin

Freddy j 12-28-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dupemaster (Post 2308901)
Every one said it was amazing, but I just wish I could have given them a truly amazing brisket.

Another way to look at it is you gave them an outstanding dish that you can make even better (by your standards) next time. Sounds like a pretty good party

dupemaster 12-29-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae (Post 2309144)
You know, if it was gone in under thirty minutes I wouldn't beat myself up TOO much if I were you. We are, alas, our own worst critics. My wife has to tell me to shut the hell up because the meat was great. A lot.
"If only XXX was a little better". HEHE

Congrats on overcoming a difficulty that might have swamped others!

Arlin

I gotta thank you guys for that. I'da never cranked the temp up as high in fear of totaly killing it.

DJnKY 12-29-2012 01:16 PM

More than likely better than anything they have ever eaten at a bbq joint:thumb:

stephan 12-29-2012 01:46 PM

We always tend to be more critical of our undertakings then those who eat it. But you cant knock success if only for the people who enjoyed it.

Ole Man Dan 12-29-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dupemaster (Post 2308901)
Lazy because I fell asleep at 2am and didn't wake up because I either didn't set or slept through my super techno junk alarm clock, lazy because I have a thermometer on my pit, or lazy because I checked my brisket at 5am with a thermometer?
Anywho, back to the brisket ! I pulled it off at 8:45 this morning so I could get to work on time. I wasnt happy with how it felt. The point probed tender, but the flat was still a little on the tough side. It was close, maybe only needed another 30 min or so, but I didn't have time.
I wrapped in another layer of foil and then a towel, put it in the cooler and went off to work.
It sat in the cooler for about 2 1/2 hours before lunch time.
The outcome was a good, but not excelent brisket. It was soft and juicy, but the flat was a touch tough. Point was jiggly, but the flat just seemed a little tight.
It was gone in less than a half hour amid a honey baked ham and a smoked turkey form a local bbq jount whitch were hardlt touched by the end of the day.
I was a little upset due to being called away ( whodda thunk you might have to work at work? ) for a bit right after plating my lunch. I only got two slices. It was gone by the time I got back at it.

The fact that everyone loved it and ate all of it says you did a pretty good job.
Face it, The only opinion that matters is yours... Did you like it?
We all think of things we want to try later, things we will do differently.
I make notes of what I want to try the next time.