The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Foil Hat Rub (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103989)

bigabyte 04-07-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TactTm1 (Post 1603975)
I had never heard of Herbamare, so I did a quick google. SOunds like a pretty cool way to get additional flavor.

Looking for an alternative to normal table salt? Herbamare is a flavorful blend of sea salt and 14 organic herbs that goes great in place of regular salt on foods! The herbs are infused into the sea salt, so unlike other seasoning salts this is not a blend of dry herbs - the flavor is inside the sea salt crystals! A little goes a long way, so you'll need to use less than you would for table salt on your foods and it's Gluten Free. Each 4.4 oz. container is $6.49.

Ingredients: Sea Salt, organic celery leaves, organic leek, organic cress (water and garden), organic onion, organic chive, organic parsley, organic lovage, organic garlic, organic basil, organic marjoram, organic rosemary, organic thyme, Kelp (with trace iodine)

Yeah, it's interesting how they make it. This is from their website...
Quote:

the raw ingredients are literally used immediately after harvesting: vegetables are brought in from the fields and finely chopped, mixed with real sea salt and allowed to marinate: the mixture is then dried under vacuum.

TactTm1 04-07-2011 10:59 PM

I picture a bunch of hippie ladies plucking fresh herbs from a compost ed garden, working in peasant dresss and barefeet.

(down here we call the WF grocery store "Whole Check." :-D )

bigabyte 04-07-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TactTm1 (Post 1603986)
I picture a bunch of hippie ladies plucking fresh herbs from a compost ed garden, working in peasant dresss and barefeet.

(down here we call the WF grocery store "Whole Check." :-D )

I think that's pretty much what's going on there!:heh: My thoughts on the subject were, if the person you are talking to knows what Herbamare is...they might be a vegan.:twisted:

landarc 04-08-2011 12:21 AM

Herbamare sounds like toking with a horse, is this wise?

Meat Burner 04-08-2011 12:49 AM

Wow Chris, that's a big thing to share to anyone and to share that here with all the brothers and sisters is pretty awsome. I will work on that recipe this weekend and am excited about how good it will be. Thanks bro!

ChicagoSizzlin 04-08-2011 05:24 AM

Im going to chime in and say thanks as well. Im gonna give this rub a try very soon and will post results as well. Thanks again !

SmokinAussie 04-08-2011 05:29 AM

Farkin' awesome bro!

Got Herbamare sorted out now. I can get that here. NEver heard of Dulse before and a rudimentary search shows me that might be hard to get here in the Great Southern Land. Given that it's seaweed, I can get Kombu and Nori sheets and Wakame (which I have heaps of already). If I took a nori sheet or dried wakame and bashed it into a powder in my massive Thai mortar and pestle, would that be considered a good substitute...:confused:

Worth a crack anyway..:thumb:

Chris... awesome generosity on your part. Are you sure your not a leftist commie pinko tree huggin' Che farkin' lezzo lovin' left hand threadded whale savin' douche bag after all?????:cool:

Cheers Farker!

Bill

bigabyte 04-08-2011 09:01 AM

I'm definitely looking forward to reviews. Like everything...I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I think many will like it.

I think a saw a movie once with a horse getting toked upon. I never thought of that while using the Herbamare though, so they might not be similar.

As for other seaweed, I find the dulse has a lot more flavor than kelp. I've never ground nori sheets, so I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure you will find it's flavor on the mild side. I would imagine if you made a nori roll using a sheet of dulse (if that exists) the flavor of the dulse would probably overpower the other flavors. I would try the Kombu or Wakame. Maybe landarc has a suggestion on those.

If you wanted, you could just use MSG. I think the Dulse tastes better, but the purpose of the dulse is to add an umami flavor, but it also has it's own flavor that is actually really nice as a seasoning. People use it as a salt substitute, believe it or not!

1FUNVET 04-08-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1604043)
Herbamare sounds like toking with a horse, is this wise?

I hear mushrooms in cow patties are good herbs.:laugh:

Remember i only heard that and have no 1st hand knowledge of such. :becky:

FamilyManBBQ 04-08-2011 05:34 PM

Good news!! Herbamare was on sale at my local Whole Foods!! The bad news...they were sold out!:mad:

I did pick up some Trocomare...just cuz they had some. Any idea what the difference is bb? Haven't done the google thing yet.

I will order some Herbamare online. Also, will need to pick up some the dulse granules. After that, I'll be making up a batch for sure!!

This is what I've found: Herbamare and Trocomare seem very similar...with Trocomare being the "spicy" version??

landarc 04-08-2011 06:38 PM

Both dulse and nori are made from red algae, although they vary slightly, they are close enough to be considered substitutes. Flavors will vary as with any natural product. I would say, Billster, that pounding or flaking of nori would work fine. I can't believe you would need a giant Thai mortar and pestle, I suspect you just want to use it, which is what I would do too.

SmokinAussie 04-08-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1604705)
Both dulse and nori are made from red algae, although they vary slightly, they are close enough to be considered substitutes. Flavors will vary as with any natural product. I would say, Billster, that pounding or flaking of nori would work fine. I can't believe you would need a giant Thai mortar and pestle, I suspect you just want to use it, which is what I would do too.

Thanks for the confirmation, and yes.... that's exactly why...:thumb:

dataz722 04-09-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1603763)
But, do you use red algae in your rub also?

No, I prefer the twang of the cyano algae.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cast Iron Cheif (Post 1603768)
Have you seen Pop Daddy's Butt Glitter?

I have not.

bigabyte 04-11-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FamilyManBBQ (Post 1604666)
Good news!! Herbamare was on sale at my local Whole Foods!! The bad news...they were sold out!:mad:

I did pick up some Trocomare...just cuz they had some. Any idea what the difference is bb? Haven't done the google thing yet.

I will order some Herbamare online. Also, will need to pick up some the dulse granules. After that, I'll be making up a batch for sure!!

This is what I've found: Herbamare and Trocomare seem very similar...with Trocomare being the "spicy" version??

Sorry, I've never seen the Trocomare stuff before, so I have no idea.

Dave Russell 04-11-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TactTm1 (Post 1603975)
...Herbamare is a flavorful blend of sea salt and 14 organic herbs that goes great in place of regular salt on foods! The herbs are infused into the sea salt, so unlike other seasoning salts this is not a blend of dry herbs - the flavor is inside the sea salt crystals! ...

Chris, about this Herbamare stuff...you considered or already tried using this stuff mixed with kosher for a poultry dry brine?

It would be rather expensive, but I wonder if the salt would pull the herbal flavors through the skin with it.

Thanks for the rub recipe! I really appreciate it. :thumb: