The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Foil Hat Rub (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103989)

Midnight Smoke 04-06-2011 10:37 AM

Thanks Chris, I posted some Chicken Pron I cooked up awhile back with your rub. Guess almost everyone missed it :rolleyes: and the obscure message within.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=103398

Cast Iron Chef 04-06-2011 11:05 AM

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a good rub. If I use fish flakes will it cut down on the cancer causing carcinogens?

bigabyte 04-06-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cast Iron Cheif (Post 1602461)
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a good rub. If I use fish flakes will it cut down on the cancer causing carcinogens?

I never tried fish flakes. Now you got me wondering....

devious 04-06-2011 11:29 AM

thanks a bunch bigabyte

Schmidty! 04-06-2011 05:02 PM

Thank you for posting your rub recipe. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. As someone new to bbq, I really appreciate all the help I can get. I checked out Midnight Smoke's thread and it didn't look like he used any sauce on his chicken. Do you recommend this rub on chicken without a sauce?

4dueces 04-06-2011 05:27 PM

Thanks Chris. Do I have to wear a Tin Foil Hat while I mix this up? Does it affect the flavor if I don't?

bigabyte 04-06-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmidty! (Post 1602768)
Do you recommend this rub on chicken without a sauce?

It works just fine on it's own, no sauce necessary. If you would like to use sauce though, that is certainly not a problem. Since making it, the BBQ sauces I have used the most are BigButz BBQ Sauce (any), or Blue's Hog Original mixed with Tennessee Red.

bigabyte 04-06-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dueces (Post 1602779)
Thanks Chris. Do I have to wear a Tin Foil Hat while I mix this up? Does it affect the flavor if I don't?

:doh::doh::doh:

You should always wear your hat.:roll:

I find the flavor is best when stored in a shaker wrapped with duct tape and hand written in sharpie "FOIL HAT RUB". It works for some reason.

Gore 04-06-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmidty! (Post 1602768)
Thank you for posting your rub recipe. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. As someone new to bbq, I really appreciate all the help I can get. I checked out Midnight Smoke's thread and it didn't look like he used any sauce on his chicken. Do you recommend this rub on chicken without a sauce?

Foil Hat is my go-to general purpose rub. If Chris tries to convince you something is better, don't believe him. It does bring out different flavors on different meats. I love it straight up on pork, but will also sauce with it. I've also dressed it with or without Lawry's on steaks. I have not used it on chicken, but I normally marinate or sauce that, and when I use rub, I have some Moose #2 that I use. It also is very nice on grilled salmon (on smoked salmon I have other preferences). I do wonder though why the recipe I have lists chocolate chips as an ingredient. :crazy:

This is a really great thing Chris is doing. He is trading a fortune in cash for a place in the BBQ Hall of Fame.

Gore 04-06-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 1602821)
:doh::doh::doh:

You should always wear your hat.:roll:

I find the flavor is best when stored in a shaker wrapped with duct tape and hand written in sharpie "FOIL HAT RUB". It works for some reason.

Something like this:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/IMG_5153.jpg

Pitmaster T 04-06-2011 06:43 PM

I bet this rub is so good it would be actually good ON a vulture.

I need to make this up so I can sue it.

Ron_L 04-06-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitmaster T (Post 1602847)
I bet this rub is so good it would be actually good ON a vulture.

Beer can or spatchcocked? :becky:

The rub does sound good. I'm going to start gathering ingredients to give it a try.

Thanks, Chris!

landarc 04-06-2011 08:43 PM

This sounds great and I love the use of the dulse, an ingredient that I had plans for, but, now can just steal your recipe. Landarc's Overland Fark Foil Hat Rub, all I need is a co-packer.

Wampus 04-06-2011 08:46 PM

This is so farkin awesome Chris!
THANKS!!!

I'm gonna make a KILLIN packaging and selling this stuff!!:tape::heh:

Just kidding, (duh).....seriously thanks. A lot of us have been wondering.

martyleach 04-06-2011 11:25 PM

Unbelievable! Thank you very much.