The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Whats in a good bark? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42485)

smokinvic 05-14-2008 10:19 AM

Whats in a good bark?

I recently bought a bunch of seasoning at Smart and Final. I did not really think about it, but I bought mostly powder stuff (onion powder, garlic powder, all spice powder, etc). I realized after i made a rub for some ribs that it came out very fine. I think a coarse rub would be better.

In the bother's opinions, what makes a better rub, coarse or fine? And is a thick coating a better bark maker? or just a sprinkle? So many questions....

just a side note: I just put in an order for Plowboys Yardbird Rub. I CAN'T WAIT! I have some wings in the freezer waiting to be rubbed!!

Hey Big Brother Smoke or Big Mista... what was the other rub you guys used on those wings, that "taste test" over at Norco's?

Rockaway BeachBQ 05-14-2008 10:30 AM

I prefer fine ground spices for everything but Black Pepper on traditional Barbecue Meats using a traditional type of rub. Granulated spices can get a little gritty in texture. IMO the bark should be a caramelized layer of meat and spice not a caramelized layer of spice like you sometimes see. A fine grind will sort of seep in but coarser spices will sit on top.

However there are lots of great ethnic variations you can do with coarser grinds of Cumin, pepper flakes, coriander and such.

big brother smoke 05-14-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinvic (Post 636583)
I recently bought a bunch of seasoning at Smart and Final. I did not really think about it, but I bought mostly powder stuff (onion powder, garlic powder, all spice powder, etc). I realized after i made a rub for some ribs that it came out very fine. I think a coarse rub would be better.

In the bother's opinions, what makes a better rub, coarse or fine? And is a thick coating a better bark maker? or just a sprinkle? So many questions....

just a side note: I just put in an order for Plowboys Yardbird Rub. I CAN'T WAIT! I have some wings in the freezer waiting to be rubbed!!

Hey Big Brother Smoke or Big Mista... what was the other rub you guys used on those wings, that "taste test" over at Norco's?

Best ask Norco. unless it was the spicy mustard sauce:biggrin:

Norcoredneck 05-14-2008 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big brother smoke (Post 636597)
Best ask Norco. unless it was the spicy mustard sauce:biggrin:

Dude you gonna kick down with the link? I made myself some drummetts and potatoe with the mustard sauce again last night. Awesome.
Vic we used Plowboys, Big brother Smokes (bet he boesn't remember:twisted:). I put some in teryaki, some in Mojo but you missed out saturday on the Mustard Best of all.

big brother smoke 05-14-2008 10:39 AM

My bad it is on my flash drive at work. Did not get in until 10 pm last night, so I am going in late.

tony76248 05-14-2008 10:53 AM

Course rubs have a longer lifespan than finer rubs. Other than that they are traditionally the same flavor. If you find yourself cooking the flavor out of the rub, try using the courser rubs. I would imagine with chicken you can get more forgiveness with a fine rub than you could say with a brisket or a butt. Just my opinion.

Norcoredneck 05-14-2008 10:55 AM

Don't make rubs myself, but doesn't sugar content contribute to actual "Bark look"?

blues_n_cues 05-14-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 636615)
Don't make rubs myself, but doesn't sugar content contribute to actual "Bark look"?

yeah . i use a brown sugar based rub for pork but i also spritz w/ a blend of apple/cranberry/lemon/& mango liquer- it makes for a great color to the bark. cherry wood also makes for a nice bark color.

big brother smoke 05-14-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 636615)

Yep, you betcha!

Smokey D 05-14-2008 09:26 PM

Sugar is in for sure, cherry for the color and get the temps low so the sugar won't burn.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 05-15-2008 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 636603)
Dude you gonna kick down with the link? I made myself some drummetts and potatoe with the mustard sauce again last night. Awesome.
Vic we used Plowboys, Big brother Smokes (bet he boesn't remember:twisted:). I put some in teryaki, some in Mojo but you missed out saturday on the Mustard Best of all.

yes the mustard sauce still lingers fondly on my mind ...

well more like hangs like a monkey from my back , yes I'm addicted .. I admit it .. jonesing here for more of that speckled yellow magic ... i need to score a dme bag of it

now that I admit my addiction - I'm a Full Fledged Farker - WOW

Bigdog 05-15-2008 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker (Post 637147)
yes the mustard sauce still lingers fondly on my mind ...

well more like hangs like a monkey from my back , yes I'm addicted .. I admit it .. jonesing here for more of that speckled yellow magic ... i need to score a dme bag of it

now that I admit my addiction - I'm a Full Fledged Farker - WOW

Sure hope you fellers are willing to share this amazing discovery.

ZBQ 05-15-2008 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdog (Post 637179)
Sure hope you fellers are willing to share this amazing discovery.

What he said ^^^^^^!!

Fess up farkers!!:lol:

Divemaster 05-15-2008 08:13 AM

Actually, both my brisket and pork rubs are fine and they both get a great bark. My Brisket rub contains both brown and white sugar, but my pork rub doesn't contain any sugars... I must admit that I do use a vinigar/mustard mop on my pork and that seems to help a lot!

redy2smoke 05-15-2008 08:14 AM

^^^^^
^^^^^ What they said!! Waiting patiently