The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Can I use this curing salt to make bacon? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148419)

chrischandler71 11-25-2012 01:24 PM

Can I use this curing salt to make bacon?

1 Attachment(s)
Found this at my local Academy store. Can I use this to cure pork belly for bacon? What other spices should I mix with it for a great flavor profile?

Attachment 72891

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teamfour 11-25-2012 01:38 PM

Yep, it is the same as Cure #1.
Ingredients:
Salt, Sodium Nitrite (6.25%), Propylene Glycol and Sodium Bicarbonate as Processing Aids and FD&C Red #3.

chrischandler71 11-25-2012 01:56 PM

Thanks

chef solon 11-25-2012 05:05 PM

If you're looking for above and beyond standard bacon profile for flavors... Crushed Peppercorns, Crushed garlic (for God's sake do not use a garlic press, just smash it w/ the side of a knife), Bay Leaves, Molasses, Red Chili Flakes, etc..

The biggest thing you can do for your homemade bacon is smoke it rather than oven it... but since you're here i'd assume that this will not be an issue!

PatioDaddio 11-25-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamfour (Post 2280553)
Yep, it is the same as Cure #1.
Ingredients:
Salt, Sodium Nitrite (6.25%), Propylene Glycol and Sodium Bicarbonate as Processing Aids and FD&C Red #3.

Yes, you can use any salt, but you need the pink salt/Prague powder/sodium
nitrate/sodium nitrite to give the cured bacon the familiar pink color. Morton's Tender
Quick contains salt, sugar, sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite.

John

chrischandler71 11-25-2012 05:50 PM

I can not find the Morton's tender quick local.. At least not where I have looked so far. This looks to be a pink salt.

PatioDaddio 11-25-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischandler71 (Post 2280766)
I can not find the Morton's tender quick local.. At least not where I have looked so far. This looks to be a pink salt.

The Morton's TQ isn't pink salt, but it contains pink salt ingredients, albeit at a low
percentage by weight. I think that the recommended use is 1 Tbsp per pound of belly.
When you cure with TQ it's important to make sure that the meat is properly cured
before you smoke it. It should be firm like a well-done steak. If it's still a little mushy
after seven days let it continue to cure, checking it every 24 hours.

John