The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wind Screen (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201477)

mrjoe 11-30-2014 11:06 AM

Wind Screen

2 Attachment(s)
Upon the advice of Harbor Master and some of the other members I built a wind screen. Not sure if its big enough for a 22.5" WSM. Considering going back to HD and buying 1 more panel to add. I'm really hoping to avoid HD, been there for various reasons like 8 times, since Friday morning.

Also, how much clearance should I have away from the smoker. The way its set up now its 6" away from the smoker at the closest part. It's that cheap pressed like MDF type of material. I usually smoke at 250-275, should I be concerned about flamablity, ect. I read online MDF could be toxic, but for my use I don't think its ever going to get that hot.

I usually have 2 fire extinguishers on hand, God forbid of an issue (knock wood) I probably will try it anyway next weekend while I sit by my window clutching a fire extinguisher ha (1/2 joking). Let me know what ya'll think.
:rolleyes:

Enrico Brandizzi 11-30-2014 11:09 AM

I like that shield!

Blythewood BBQ'er 11-30-2014 11:54 AM

I doubt that you would ignite at that distance. May get warm but not hot enough to flame. How heavy would you say it is? I've been thinking about building one. Especially after Thursday. We had alot of wind.

el_matt 11-30-2014 11:57 AM

That's a fine looking screen, I doubt you'll have any problaems. I'd touch the screen every so often, just to make sure it's not getting hot, especially down at the bottom. If the WSM acts like a UDS, and I'm sure it does, the bottom is going to be the hottest part. One more panel wouldn't hurt, but it might just be overkill.

Just my opinion, as I've never made a wind screen.

Matt

Harbormaster 11-30-2014 01:10 PM

Mine would typically be 6 inches or less away. Not even an indication of scorching on the wood and they don't get too hot..

Happy Hapgood 11-30-2014 01:28 PM

Looking goood!

mrjoe 11-30-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blythewood BBQ'er (Post 3107484)
I doubt that you would ignite at that distance. May get warm but not hot enough to flame. How heavy would you say it is? I've been thinking about building one. Especially after Thursday. We had alot of wind.

Thanks. in terms of weight I want to say maybe 25 to 30 pound range. The wood.pre-cut home depot 2x4s 1/2 inch thick, and its held together with 8 door hinges. I heard someone post on a site that they use the door hinges with the removable pin so it can easily travel to competitions if need be. Thanks for the feedback.

mrjoe 11-30-2014 03:15 PM

Message edited

mrjoe 11-30-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt (Post 3107485)
That's a fine looking screen, I doubt you'll have any problaems. I'd touch the screen every so often, just to make sure it's not getting hot, especially down at the bottom. If the WSM acts like a UDS, and I'm sure it does, the bottom is going to be the hottest part. One more panel wouldn't hurt, but it might just be overkill.

Just my opinion, as I've never made a wind screen.

Matt

Thanks Matt

mrjoe 11-30-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbormaster (Post 3107532)
Mine would typically be 6 inches or less away. Not even an indication of scorching on the wood and they don't get too hot..

Thanks. Im thinking it will hold up, thanks for the help again.

SmittyJonz 11-30-2014 03:59 PM

Do you have feet sticking out on both sides ? what keeps the wind from blowing it into the smoker?

mrjoe 11-30-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittyJonz (Post 3107635)
Do you have feet sticking out on both sides ? what keeps the wind from blowing it into the smoker?

Good question, I thought it was coming up on the small end, I could probably attach one more.2x4 to each end to.give it some closure.

retired trucker 12-01-2014 12:33 AM

Get a 2x4 and cut notches in two ends and lay over the top with the notches in the two opposing sides, thereby locking the panels together. It would be much more sturdy that way without compromising the portability of the system. Should be good for moderate winds. Good design and work!

Blessings,

Omar

Blownmope 12-01-2014 09:11 AM

Welding blanket with a coat hanger to hold it up works very well and helps retain heat.

THoey1963 12-01-2014 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just be sure to use gloves when handling the welders blanket. Fiberglass splinters suck. Wrapped mine up today due to a cold north wind: