Competition sauce question

D

ddog27

I am still a competition virgin, but I am getting set to get started next year. Still lots of practice sessions needed!

My question is: For those of you who compete, what changes do you make in your sauce between what you use in a competition and what you would use for your personal BBQing?

Also do you change your sauce based on who the judging group is made up of?

You make YOUR sauce the way you like it or think will make it competitive. If you switch up from what you normally do you'll never get that repeatable taste you're looking for.

Good luck - winning can be a feather in the cap - I understand that's where KC Masterpiece got it's start - winning at the AR sauce competition.

We don't normally compete in any of the ancillary events (except dessert, once!) - but some teams like Jack's Old South clean up regularly.

I noticed a lot of bottled sauces being used in competetion. Maybe it's a northeast thing.

BrooklynQ said:
I noticed a lot of bottled sauces being used in competetion. Maybe it's a northeast thing.

IMO........it's kinda best to see what sauce sells in the area, then try it or something similar........generally your judges are locals.......and I think that may be why you are seeing the bottled suace used.......

I agree. I start off with Kraft BBQ sauce as my base and go from there. Tried making my own completely from scratch one time but not only did it cost more but it was kind of a PITA too. Once a year, the Kroger stores around here put the Kraft on sale 2 for a buck and I load up to last me through the year.

Back