The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Sponsors (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98128)

parrdist 01-02-2011 01:25 PM

Sponsors

How many of you have sponsors, and how did you get them? Seem like a way to help differ some of the cost of competing.

tmcmaster 01-02-2011 05:13 PM

I have 3. And I just asked.

Contracted Cookers 01-02-2011 08:00 PM

We have 3 . 1 sponsors pellets . 1 gives a lump sum at begining of the year and then helps a little on entry fees. and 1 covers most of are entry fees. We cook for all of are sponsors at cost . we also give leftovers vacumed packed from comps.

jbrink01 01-02-2011 08:07 PM

I have 2 for 2011 so far. Meat and entry fees.

tmcmaster 01-03-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmcmaster (Post 1500374)
I have 3. And I just asked.

I guess I should mention, I have one for spices/rubs that also covers part of entry fees. One for meats. And one for woods.

TRS 01-03-2011 06:56 AM

Just picked up a sauce sponsor last fall. I use their sauce at home, eat at their bbq restaurants when I am in Atlanta. So I asked. This year they are supplying all the sauces. Not a huge help on the $$ but its a start and everything helps. Hopefully with a good season this year there will be more $$ in sponsorship for next year. Just have to "beat the bushes" and hopefully get a lot of calls which helps!

trueque 01-03-2011 08:31 AM

I do not have sponsors, but am getting more curious about the details of sponsorship. Not looking to hi-jack this thread, but hoping to get more in depth.

What are typical deals?
What are the trade-offs / compromises?
What are your responsibilities to the sponsor?
What is considered a good sponsor versus a bad one?

WhiskeyBentBBQ 01-03-2011 08:46 AM

We have 6 and a few of them are BBQ companies but the others are local businesses. Some of them are straight product for advertising deals. Others are lump sum cash. We offer catering to all our local business sponsors. We also cook many of their charity causes and events at cost.

This has been a win win for us. Just remember that you are selling yourself and the sponsor needs to get something out of it also.

Sawdustguy 01-03-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBentBBQ (Post 1500908)
Just remember that you are selling yourself and the sponsor needs to get something out of it also.

+1 This is why we do not have sponsors. We had a sponsor one year and their expectations were unrealistic. They are not giving you the money for free. They expect a benefit for their sponsorship. We can afford to front the bill ourselves and prefer not to have any attachments. This is a hobby for us and we want to keep it that way.

ssbbqguy 01-03-2011 09:58 AM

Look up sponsor hunts or something similar in the archives. What is said above is correct, but lacks explaining of how and why.The one main thing is to be of benefit to that sponsor. It should be a trade-off for whatever aggrement reached.If you can't help each other, then don't start a relationship. The reality is so many think they are worth six figure contracts, when they are not. Steve.

PeteN 01-03-2011 10:08 AM

We have a few, our main one being my butcher who supplies all of our meat. We only do a few comps a year, but he provides meat for one comp free of charge and the rest at his cost for the year in exchange for advertising. The rest are mainly friends who like to be involved.

Fishiest1 01-03-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssbbqguy-mo (Post 1500956)
Look up sponsor hunts or something similar in the archives. What is said above is correct, but lacks explaining of how and why.The one main thing is to be of benefit to that sponsor. It should be a trade-off for whatever aggrement reached.If you can't help each other, then don't start a relationship. The reality is so many think they are worth six figure contracts, when they are not. Steve.

Very true!

I am new to BBQ but have been around tournament fishing a bit as a tournament director, tournament fisherman and fishing radio show host. What I learned is the best tournament fisherman may not always be the best to sponsor. The guy that goes out and hustles the product, shows up, helps the sponsor with promotions on their own time etc and makes it an even give and take relationship is the one that will have lasting sponsors.

Even when you get a sponsor you have to decide if it is really worth it ie everything comes with a price.

If you do want a larger sponsor for $$ have a gameplan to let them know what you can do for them even if it is you agree to cook at there car lot during a radio promotion etc or agree to cook for them at a private party. We would often trade fishing trips as part of a sponsorship package, do seminars etc.

5-0 BBQ 01-03-2011 10:16 AM

We are furtunate that we have 2 BBQ Companies that sponsor us. We may have a third one that wants to promote a new Charcoal Line.

If you have a good relationship with someone all you have to do is ask. Remember anything helps.

Fishiest1 01-03-2011 11:17 AM

Found one of our old sponsorship level forms from our fishing tournaments. Maybe some can change it around a bit and use it for BBQ sponsorship. Good luck!

$5000+ Title Sponsor (one available)
One Team Entry into Tournament (up to 4 anglers)
Name & Logo entry on Triple Crown Series & Quick link to Company Website)
Name & Logo on Tournament T-Shirt
Name & Logo on Tournament Hat
Name & Logo on all current Tournament Literature
Sponsor Supplied Banner hung at all Events
Sponsor Recognition at awards Banquet
Name & Logo on Tournament Banner
One family guest with each angler at party

$2250+ Big Fish Sponsor (3 available)
Name & Logo on Tournament Hat
Name & Logo entry on Triple Crown Website
Sponsor Supplied Banner hung at all Events

$2000+ Shirt Sponsor (2 available)
Name & Logo on Tournament long sleeve T-Shirt Sleeve
Name & Logo entry on The Triple Crown Website

$1750 Koozie Sponsor
Name & Logo on Tournament Koozies

$1100 Fishing Sponsor

$250 Trolling Sponsor

$100 Sleep with the Fishes Sponsor
Come on you cheap skate - $100 doesn’t get you crap these days!
(We’ll try to get your name on the Tournament T-Shirt)

msavard 01-04-2011 09:33 AM

Here is our sponsor request form. Typically we operate with a $12-18k budget for Memphis in May. Ideally we collect all but $4k or so of that from sponsors.

BEER : Bardog Memphis (pub) Provides 20 Kegs
LIQUOR : Fox & Hound (pub) Provides most of the liquor for the bar

CASH (It costs a lot to feed/entertain our crowd):
http://gravity-interactive.com/Slab_Sponsor_FFA.jpg