Target score - cast iron skillet

vr6Cop

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The local Target store has all their grilling stuff on clearance for 30% off, which included all accessories. I picked up a Thermos brand cast iron skillet for about $6. It is advertised as a cool handle, because the handle is removable. Meaning: It's a round skillet without a handle. Perfect for Webers, Eggs or other round grills. :cool:

Sure, it's a cheap piece of cast iron that was made in China, but for blackening on the grill, or any of the billion other uses for cast iron on the grill, it's great. It'll be great for cornbread or other baked goods.

What size is it? It is a score no matter the size. I'll have to check the local target.

Great score for $6.00!!! No kitchen is complete without a cast iron skillet IMHO. I have never washed mine in over 25 years. I just wipe it clean.

season it well and it will be around for more than a few years.

I have a cabinet full of cast iron pots, pans, skillets, deep fryer, egg poacher, etc. made by the Griswold Company that are, in some cases, 80+ years old and still chugging along. My father started collecting them years ago becasue Griswold was in his hometown of Erie, PA. Seems people here in CA didn't realize the value and would sell them to my Dad at yard sales, swap meets, etc. for almost nothing. Turns out that these are collectors items. Several of them are valued over $500 a piece!! BTW...they work great in my smoker!!

I picked up one a couple of weeks ago. Seasoned it in the egg last night after I cooked some pork steaks. Ran it at 450 for a while, then shut it down. I'll check on it later.

I have a lodge 12" skillet that I use often in my WSM and Kettle, perfect for smoking dips!

Congrats on a good find/buy.

Any pics of skillet? need to know if wife can weild it as weapon before I buy one :biggrin: . Figure if I hide the handle she can only sling it at me. Was always good at Frisbee.

Here ya go. Another coat of oil and another couple of hours and it should be good to go.

Attachments

• skillet.jpg
    skillet.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 159
I don't know if you will ever find a cast iron pan from a store that is selling for less then $6.00. I think you got the best deal possible.

Oh yes, I'll be stopping in Target tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm a Lodge man, but $6.48 was too good to pass up. Especially to use on the grill. The one Thillin posted is exactly it.

I will continue to season it every time I fire up the egg. It needs to catch up to my other stuff. :cool:

Target Bargins

Did my usual cruise thru Target last week. Got a replacement grate for my 22inch Weber for $11.38 & a Smokey Joe Silver for $14.98. Love that place:lol:

I picked up a big cast iron frying pan at a garage sale for about a buck... had quite a bit of rust that I thought would be easy to clean. It turned out pretty stubborn... any suggestions?

Back