The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Using amazN tube smoker in chargriller kamado (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150731)

koko1 01-03-2013 01:15 AM

Using amazN tube smoker in chargriller kamado

Is there a way? Only reason I am asking is because I had a propane smoker and got the tube smoker and 100 pounds of pellets for Christmas. The problem is I also got the chargriller kamado from my wife so I took the propane smoker back as I only had it for about a month. I tried it with wings and it died out after 10-15 min. Is it gonna be to much of a low oxygen environment especially when trying to get down in the 250 range for low and slow? Any Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IamMadMan 01-03-2013 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koko1 (Post 2315090)
Is there a way? Only reason I am asking is because I had a propane smoker and got the tube smoker and 100 pounds of pellets for Christmas. The problem is I also got the chargriller kamado from my wife so I took the propane smoker back as I only had it for about a month. I tried it with wings and it died out after 10-15 min. Is it gonna be to much of a low oxygen environment especially when trying to get down in the 250 range for low and slow? Any Ideas?

Your Chargriller Kamando smoker has a charcoal tray, Simply use the pellets as you would wood chips, mix a handful of pellets through out the unlit charcoal. As the charcoal burns slowly so will the wood pellets that will produce light smoke to flavor the meat.

The Tube Pellet Smoker could be used in the komando, but scattering them throughout the charcoal should be sufficient. I would use the tube for cold smoking in you komando without the use of charcoal. You can cold smoke cheese, fish, sausage, and so much more..

RW 01-03-2013 07:57 AM

I'd concentrate the pellets by making a foil packet for them. Punch one hole in it, set it on your charcoal and you're good to go.
Save the tube for cold smoking.

koko1 01-03-2013 12:26 PM

Ok thanks for your replies. I like my meat with lots of smoke and that is why I am wanting to get the tube working in it. With that I know I can get a good 3-4 hours of constant tb smoke. I may try using a fire block and separate the charcoal and tube as I think the charcoal stared the tube of oxygen when using the menion type method.

From looking at the charcoal grate it looks like the some of pellets would fall through the grate if I scattered them throughout the charcoal. May could use some expanded metal though.

I may try the foil pouch idea but that's why I got the tube for the propane was to get rid of using foil.

I just don't want 100 pounds of pellets to go to waste.

I guess a little trial and error.

RW 01-03-2013 12:37 PM

If you don't like the foil packet, consider saving a tuna can, filling it with pellets, loosely leaving the lid on and mixing it with your charcoal.

koko1 01-03-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RW (Post 2315431)
If you don't like the foil packet, consider saving a tuna can, filling it with pellets, loosely leaving the lid on and mixing it with your charcoal.

I used a Soup can before like this in the propane smoker before I got the tube. Drilled 10 or so holes in the side. Worked pretty well. Thanks for the tip. I will probably try everything an see what works best for me.