2 questions in one post

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
First question. Is one fist sized wood chunk plenty of wood for one rack of loins or spares? Also, if the bag of chunks i purchased has small chunks as in no bigger than a dang golf ball, take it back and buy a better bag?

second question. How much smoke is produced from lump charcoal alone? main reason i ask. i have some awesome high quality mesquite lump that i want to smoke some ribs with but i need to know how much of the smoke proprieties of the wood are still around after it has been carbonized into charcoal. i want to use the mesquite lump to smoke with and it smells pretty dang clean when it is burning hot. i would not add any other wood chunks to the fire if i use mesquite lump. oh and it will be minion burn.

thanks

You can probably get by with one chunk, but I usually use 3 at least, spread out from each other of course.

My experience with mesquite lump is that it imparts a good flavor on it's own and doesn't need any added wood, although if you want a flavor other than just mesquite then you will need to add it. I love the flavor from just mesquite charcoal though.:thumb:

Thanks guys for the answers. Im bugged that my wood chunks are like way small. Gotta buy me some good stuff. Haha.

so your saying for one rack alone, 3 fist sized pieces of wood would be ok? just wanna make sure they aint to smokey for first timers. haha

Im gonna try mesquite as well this spring haha. 20$ for 50 lbs of high quality stuff. Average size is 7 in diameter and about a foot long haha.

I would keep the small golf ball sized chunks, they might end up being useful.

I use two or three chunks for most smokes. In my kettle, I prefer less wood, in my UDS, fist sized chunks is good.

I do not smoke with mesquite, it sure would be easier and mesquite lump is everywhere around here. I find that the hardwood lump I use gives a very light smoke flavor to meat without any added wood, but, not enough unless I am smoking something I want to be delicate.

Ummm... Maybe I'm the only one who feels that this in important, but what are you cooking on? A fist sized chunk will be way to much for a small electric like a Masterbuilt, may be just right for a 18.5" WSM, a little light for a 22.5" WSM or UDS, and would be way too light for a large offset.

Ummm... Maybe I'm the only one who feels that this in important, but what are you cooking on? A fist sized chunk will be way to much for a small electric like a Masterbuilt, may be just right for a 18.5" WSM, a little light for a 22.5" WSM or UDS, and would be way too light for a large offset.
Hmm. I must have deleted what i was cookin on. Its a 22.5 kettle anf a uds.

Thanks for bringing this up

Back