The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   UDS Build W/ Cart & Pics (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95604)

newie 11-16-2010 10:29 PM

UDS Build W/ Cart & Pics

5 Attachment(s)
First, thanks to everyone who has contributed one way or another to this site - I have thoroughly enjoyed reading countless posts related to UDS info & recipe ideas. The information is truly motivating, and like many, I had no idea what a UDS was prior to finding this forum.

Anyway, the natural reaction after reading just a handful of posts is "I am building on of those". So here is my UDS and cart, input and questions are welcome as I hope it may help someone else with their project.

Started with an unlined reconditioned drum I located in the Bay Area ($40 containersunlimited.com), and a CL find of a 22.5" Weber just down the street ($10).

Determined the Weber lid fit snugly on the bottom of the drum, which would eventually become the top of the UDS.

Off to a buddys house to use his plasma cutter (amazing tool). Cut the bottom out and saved the cut-out bottom for the ash pan. While I had the plasma out, cut the drum radius into an old office desk top which would eventually become the top to my cart.

Headed home and welded up the ash pan/ charcoal basket utilizing the charcoal grate from the Weber. Used some rebar I had laying around to stabilize the ash pan, and 1" angle 1" high for feet underneath, and 1" angle x 1.5" high to space the ash pan from the bottom of the charcaol grate. Rebar handle with a vertical section in the center if a heat diffusor is needed at a later time.

Used three pieces of one inch angle as supports for each of the two cooking grates, and two Home Depot thermometers mounted just under each grate to monitor cook temps.

Three holes equally spaced around the base for air intake metered with magnets.

Extremely impressed with the ease of temp control and amazed with the efficiency. Its amazing the cook time vs. coal consumption.

The cart bottom is 1.5" angle with expanded steel as the bottom held up with two Weber palstic wheels on one end, and casters on the other. The circular end of the cart was made with half of the clamp used to secure the original lid to the top of the drum.

The top is attached with 3/4" conduit and at this point is a bit flimsy. I am trying to decide how to finish the cart (shelves, gussets, etc.). I'd like to make a mount for a cutting board and possibly a drawer, and of course, my Sierra Nevada bottle opener that has been searching for a permanent mount since last Christmas! Input welcome.

Anyway, a few pics....

landarc 11-16-2010 10:36 PM

That is a nice UDS, great idea on the cart and excellent execution. Your boy looks ready to weld something.

Blackened 11-16-2010 10:49 PM

Nice cart!

Johnny_Crunch 11-16-2010 10:54 PM

nice looking cooker, like the cart!

Midnight Smoke 11-16-2010 10:54 PM

Nice setup you have! The table is great.

Alan in Ga 11-16-2010 11:01 PM

very nice UDS and love the cart

bigabyte 11-16-2010 11:10 PM

That is one nice setup right there!:cool:

Mat 11-16-2010 11:39 PM

awesome job. one day I'll venture into a custom build

Phubar 11-17-2010 05:58 AM

Nice work!
One day I'm gonna be a web slinger too!:wink:

dgassaway 11-17-2010 06:02 AM

Nice job. Something tells me this may not be the last drum you build :)

lionhrt 11-17-2010 06:11 AM

Nice job all the way around so this would be your "Preformer UDS"?

Garyclaw 11-17-2010 06:21 AM

very nice!

J_Don 11-17-2010 07:35 AM

Very nice indeed. Wish I had a welder and knew how to weld.

Phesant 11-17-2010 08:30 AM

Nicely done :thumb:

colonel00 11-17-2010 08:58 AM

Very well done. You are hooked now.

As far as suggestions for your cart, I would say do a few cooks and see what you need. On my cart (link in signature) I found I needed storage for essential items as well as a way to store and hold racks.