• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Chuckie Question

smokinjerseyguy

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Just looking for a little guidance; doing my first Chuckie tomorrow in my WSM and i have seen cooking times all over the map(4 hours to 14 hours). My chuckie is 4.5 pounds and it will be the only thing I am cooking on the WSM tomorrow. I plan on putting it in a tin with some beer and other goodness when it hits 165 and putting it back on. Any suggestions for a ball park on what would be a good general range of time to shoot for? I know there are a lot of factors but just curious for some insight. Any other advice would be welcomed as well! Thanks!

Biggest factor will be how much collagen needs broke down. I'd guess three hours for smoke, then cube up in inch chunks and put in the pan with liquid, put a lid on it then. Take it to the point that it shreds easy(195*-200*), prolly 3-4hrs.

Kiss it with smoke for a couple hours then toss in pan with yer beer and other goodness and braise away. It's done when it's done, but at 4.5lbs I'd guess no more than 5-6 hours@ 275+ temps.

Check this out. I promise you will be glad you did. I don't do a lot of foiling, but chuck is one thing that I do foil.

Thanks gentlemen... As always your guidance is greatly appreciated! And thanks GTR for the link... I will definitely take a look at that. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Back