The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   KCBS Pork Rule (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175360)

White Dog BBQ 11-15-2013 06:50 PM

KCBS Pork Rule

I haven't seen anything on here, but I saw something on Facebook indicating that Mike Peters proposed changing the new pork rule at the 11th hour. Did it pass? Do we know what the pork rule would be next year?

Erik

Rich Parker 11-15-2013 07:14 PM

I listened to the mp3 and it was changed again by a motion brought up by Mike Peters but there will be another meeting in two weeks where it will probably change again.

Fat Freddy 11-15-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Parker (Post 2694938)
I listened to the mp3 and it was changed again by a motion brought up by Mike Peters but there will be another meeting in two weeks where it will probably change again.

How did it change this time?:confused::doh:

:frusty::frusty::frusty:

Gowan 11-15-2013 08:54 PM

New rule will allow any type of pork, including McRib. (j/k)

Funtimebbq 11-15-2013 10:06 PM

On the KCBS website, there are quick notes from the BOD meeting. Looks like two votes for the pork rule were taken and one passed. The Mike Peters rule called for no returning of pork to the smoker once it was parted.

I propose the following motion for consideration:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out). Once parted into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded portions, those portions may not be returned to the cooker or grill.
Second Mike Budai
Motion Pass
6 yes, Mike B, Randy B, Kim C, Wayne L, Tana S, Mike P
4 No, Steve F, Don H, Dave C, Jeff S

The second vote called for the returning of parted pork be up to the cook.

Jeff Stith
I make the motion that the set of rules for 2014 be officially finalized. There were only two rules applying to cooks that were passed as motions to be changed during this year.
1. Rule #12 regarding garnish was changed in wording. The last sentence currently says: "Improper garnish shall receive a score of one (1) on appearance. The word "improper" has been changed to "illegal".
2. The pork rule has been changed to read: Pork: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole /9bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."
Second Steve Farrin
3-Yes Steve F, Dave C, Jeff S
7-no Don H, Tana S, Mike B, Randy B, Kim C, Wayne L, Mike P

Motion fails as is.

Funny thing is both of those votes have a note from whoever took the quick notes that states, Consensus of the BOD is to put the 5 lb back in and allow the meat to be put back on the smoker. I personally don't understand how that statement can be made about the Mike Peters' motion if it specifically indicates the pork cannot be returned to the smoker. Regardless, they have set aside both votes for another meeting later this month.

Icekub 11-16-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ (Post 2695032)
New rule will allow any type of pork, including McRib. (j/k)

This will significantly cut down on my box building time! :heh:

Rich Parker 11-16-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funtimebbq (Post 2695093)
On the KCBS website, there are quick notes from the BOD meeting. Looks like two votes for the pork rule were taken and one passed. The Mike Peters rule called for no returning of pork to the smoker once it was parted.

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out). Once parted into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded portions, those portions may not be returned to the cooker or grill.
Second Mike Budai
Motion Pass

Jeff Stith
I make the motion that the set of rules for 2014 be officially finalized. There were only two rules applying to cooks that were passed as motions to be changed during this year.
1. Rule #12 regarding garnish was changed in wording. The last sentence currently says: "Improper garnish shall receive a score of one (1) on appearance. The word "improper" has been changed to "illegal".
2. The pork rule has been changed to read: Pork: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole /9bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."
Second Steve Farrin

Motion fails as is.

Funny thing is both of those votes have a note from whoever took the quick notes that states, Consensus of the BOD is to put the 5 lb back in and allow the meat to be put back on the smoker. I personally don't understand how that statement can be made about the Mike Peters' motion if it specifically indicates the pork cannot be returned to the smoker. Regardless, they have set aside both votes for another meeting later this month.

His motion is once it parted into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded it can't be returned but that would still let you cook and then separate and return to the cooker as long as it doesn't fall in to the items listed.

rxcellentq 11-16-2013 08:35 AM

"Once parted into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded portions, those portions may not be returned to the cooker or grill."

it looks like you may be able to cook two buts cut the MM off when you want the return the rest. is that what they mean by "those portions"?

Funtimebbq 11-16-2013 09:37 AM

Isn't that just one very large "chunk". If his proposal is as stated by Rich, then the rule needs to be written so there is no question as to its meaning.

Rich Parker 11-16-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funtimebbq (Post 2695352)
Isn't that just one very large "chunk". If his proposal is as stated by Rich, then the rule needs to be written so there is no question as to its meaning.

This is the same as any law of society there is always a different interpretation of a rule. Do we really want lawyers involved in our cooks?

We will never come up with a new rule that will keep it bbq vs grilling, maintain an advanced skill set, and not be written in a manner that won't be torn apart by one person or another.

Butcher BBQ 11-16-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Parker (Post 2695222)
His motion is once it parted into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded it can't be returned but that would still let you cook and then separate and return to the cooker as long as it doesn't fall in to the items listed.

It must weigh 5 pounds minimum.

Rich Parker 11-16-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butcher BBQ (Post 2695514)
It must weigh 5 pounds minimum.

I read it as it must be 5lb minimum before cooking. I don't consider a whole money muscle as a chunk, cutlet, slices, medallions, etc

I think we are looking at the next tax law. :-D

SmokeUSum 11-16-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Parker (Post 2695561)
I read it as it must be 5lb minimum before cooking. I don't consider a whole money muscle as a chunk, cutlet, slices, medallions, etc

I think we are looking at the next tax law. :-D

How could you not see the MM as a chunk? Reading the proposed change/motion, it would appear that once any part of the meat as a whole was taken, cut, pulled, whatever, that NONE of it could go back... That's the way it reads it me, but I've been reading and writing legal-ez for a few years, so I'm not sure if I'm breaking down the statement too much.

Fishin4bass723 11-16-2013 04:59 PM

Second Mike Budai
Motion Pass

As I read and reread I keep coming up with the same thing, it depends on what the interpretation of "those portions" is. If that means once I cut the MM out I can put the rest back on for my pulled, I like it less meat I have to buy.

YankeeBBQ 11-16-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funtimebbq (Post 2695093)

Second Mike Budai
Motion Pass

Jeff Stith
Second Steve Farrin

Motion fails as is.

Actually the quick notes are incomplete. Tana changed her vote on mike peters motion and it was defeated. As it stands now the pork rule is in limbo.